Sign in with
Your question

XFX HD4890 Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2010 3:23:53 AM

I've gotten a new power supply, case, and graphics card for my old computer. The power supply works, the case is pretty, the graphics card has failed for the second time.
For future reference, the computer is a Gateway GM5416E. 2GB of DDR2 system memory, Windows Vista, and an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 processor. The new power supply is Corair's HX-650W. The offending graphics card is an XFX HD4890. As far as I can see, the system requirements of the card are met and passed (1GB of memory, 500W of continuous power). Yet I have run into errors twice now, both times the same, and on two different cards.
The text of the error message is this:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent harm to your computer.

An attempt was made to execute to non-executable memory.

If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000FC"
I took a picture of this error message, so I could reproduce no further from the string of numbers that follows the last bit, but all the rest is quite faithful to the wording of the blue screen itself.

It is late here, and I intend to call XFX in the morning to find effective support, but I was hoping someone here might have experience with this or a better understanding of possible issues than I. Thank you for the time you've spent reading this, of course, and any time further in helping me get through this issue, or at least learn why I'll not get through it. I'll keep looking elsewhere, but all help here is appreciated greatly.

More about : xfx hd4890 problems

April 17, 2010 3:35:28 AM

XFX states: "It is advised to disable any onboard graphics adapters, either by jumper on the mainboard, or by changing the
graphics adapter priority in the Mainboard BIOS. Please refer to your mainboard manual on how to do this."

Could this be causing the issue above?
m
l
Related resources
April 17, 2010 3:40:30 AM

I don't have XP Media Center, it's a Vista Home Premium computer, 32-bit. And I've not recently added any service packs, or any other parts that didn't work. It is only when I put the graphics card in that the problem arises.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 17, 2010 4:10:20 AM

Blue screen's of death like that usually don't have anything to do with your graphics card. They are much more often related to RAM. I would download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org and burn the ISO image to a CD. You then boot your computer from the CD and let the memory test run overnight to test for RAM errors.
m
l
April 17, 2010 4:22:18 AM

rolli59 said:
And you are using the correct drivers for Vista 32bit? http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista...
This error applies to Vista as well. If you google it you get plenty of hits.
http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windo...

Are these things I would install before putting in the card?

shortstuff_mt said:
Blue screen's of death like that usually don't have anything to do with your graphics card. They are much more often related to RAM. I would download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org and burn the ISO image to a CD. You then boot your computer from the CD and let the memory test run overnight to test for RAM errors.

Is there any way that isn't an ISO? I'm currently up late and out of a car and out of CDs, and may be fore a while
m
l
April 17, 2010 4:28:50 AM

Sorry for the double post, but another question: any idea how I would turn off Data Execution Prevention for just the XFX graphics card, or whatever issue it is running into there? Or, better, is that possible?
m
l
a c 1411 U Graphics card
a c 716 ) Power supply
April 17, 2010 4:34:07 AM

If you where replacing the onboard with you HD4890 the procedure is to disable (deleting drivers) the onboard in device manager then shut down, install the new card and boot up with the new card using Windows default VGA drivers. After that it is time to install the drivers for the new card.
m
l
April 17, 2010 4:39:18 AM

rolli59 said:
If you where replacing the onboard with you HD4890 the procedure is to disable (deleting drivers) the onboard in device manager then shut down, install the new card and boot up with the new card using Windows default VGA drivers. After that it is time to install the drivers for the new card.

This is what I've done before, though with my nVidia 7600GS drivers instead of the onboard. I then install the new card, boot up, then before anything can fully happen I run into the blue error screen. Should I hook up the monitor to the onboard port while doing this, perhaps? Or is it a BIOS issue or something different?
m
l
April 17, 2010 5:51:24 AM

I have the same card. Well, I have a Saphire Vapor X HD 4890. But, what everyone said:
1)Make sure primary graphics adapter is PCI-E in BIOS
2) remove old drivers
3)Make sure Card is installed correctly, the two 6pin connectors are connected properly
4)Install new drivers

Maybe it's not the GPU?

If that were me, if all else fails, and you can't pin point if its your GPU or not, I would do a fresh install of the OP. I noticed I had weird glitches on my computer when I installed the 4890. I think it's because there were still some NVIDIA drivers leftover or something.

AFter a fresh install, everything ran better.
m
l
April 17, 2010 3:40:00 PM

Just want to say that I tried removing DEP from my computer and then starting it up with the card.
The only change was that the blue error screen lacked the "Execute to non-executable" line of information.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 18, 2010 4:03:05 AM

Have you run Memtest86+ yet? You can also download versions that will work with either a floppy disk or thumb drive.
m
l
!