Sign in with
Your question

[Asus] Sata port issue.

Last response: in Motherboards
February 4, 2011 7:19:19 PM

Hello,
That my first post in this forum, i usually stick with the notebookreview.com forum when i do need help but they coulnd provide me support with my problem. Hopefully someone can help me here!

Here my laptop config.
ASUS G73JH-A1
i7-920XM (OEM)
HM55 Intel Chipset
ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5
Kingston DDR3 8GB 1333Mhz | Blu-ray MATSHITA UJ141AS
120GB Intel X25M G2 & 500GB 7200RPM Seagate
500GB 7200RPM Seagate (Optical bay)

When i try to load data with my blu-ray drive it lag, stutter and crash my explorer. I recently put a HDD in my optical bay and i got similar issue, while loading data from it, it crash and become very slow. At first i though the issue was my blu-ray drive...

I already found how to ``fix`` the issue with the blu-ray drive by setting the sata configuration to IDE instead of AHCI. However, since i got SSD, AHCI is required so this fix wont be helpful anymore...

I already tried to reinstall the OS, chipset SATA/ATAPI controller drivers, not much... I think the issue is from the intel(r) 5 series 4 port sata ahci controller, however im out of idea and i need to solve this! :??: 

Thanks, i hope my english not too painful to read :kaola: 

More about : asus sata port issue

a c 715 V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 7:31:23 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

AHCI is NOT required for SSD; trim, if your SSD & OS supports it, works as either IDE or AHCI. Therefore, switch to IDE.

BTW - if you installed your OS in IDE then switched to AHCI chances are you corrupted your registry -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 Use MS Fix It.
February 4, 2011 7:45:00 PM

jaquith said:
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

AHCI is NOT required for SSD; trim, if your SSD & OS supports it, works as either IDE or AHCI. Therefore, switch to IDE.

BTW - if you installed your OS in IDE then switched to AHCI chances are you corrupted your registry -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 Use MS Fix It.

My OS was intalled with AHCI. When i switch AHCI to IDE, i got the Win logo load and the BSOD. Wont load Win even with the file installed from your link. Is there any alternative, i think ill lose performance with IDE?
Related resources
a c 715 V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 8:32:21 PM

Well your choices see pretty straight forward:

A. ACHI + slightly better performance + problems

B. IDE - slightly poorer performance - problems

Therefore, options: 1. BIOS Update, 2. Firmware v1.7 update, 3. Reformat the 500 GB HDD. However, it seems the notebook is placing both the HDD/SSD and ODD/HDD bay on the same SATA configurations. Even in typical PCs it is not recommended to have the ODD on AHCI ports.

Personally, if both of those options fail then I would settle for IDE.

Q - Can your notebook support a 500 GB/7200 RPM HDD in the OD bay?
February 4, 2011 10:00:20 PM

-Bios is already updated with the newest (211).
-What is Firmware v1.7 update?
-I did reformat my HDD before i put it in the OD.

I tried IDE, cant load the OS. Your fix(link) dont seem to be working, im getting BSOD.

I believe there others owners of the g73 series with HDD in OD. Some vendor such xoticpc and gentech give the option to add HDD in OD. Is there any drivers i can replace for the sata ports?
!