PERFECT COMPUTER FOR ARCHITECTURE

taylorsealy

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hello, I dont know much about computers. i understand most of the basic concepts and what not but im not way into it. I am studying architecture and i have a nice laptop for school, but i want to get a good desktop for home to run my program on. I was looking at pugetsystems.com for a custom computor but i have no idea what i need and i only want to spend around 3000 at the most.

Solution

Well with that,

I would recommend a system with

CPU: Phenom II x6 1055t or core i7 930 (or better)

4 or 8 GB of ddr3 1333 MHz ram (or if with the core i7's 9xx: 6 to 12 GB of ddr3 ram)

500GB hard drive

GPU: a Radeon 5750 or better.

Power supply: 500W or grater power supply. (if you go for a better graphic card, you might want to get an even higher wattage power supply.)

Windows 7 Home Premium.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Hex_Core_Configurator/

this should only place you around $1k to $1.5k.

Example: This would only cost $1,052
Case: CyberPower CX-9959 Lan Party Case w/...
$3k? Well with that, you could build just about anything you want for a desktop.

Although depending on the program you're using you could pay for a good performing computer for around $1k to $2k.

But right now, What program are you using? that will help us guide you in the right direction.

Just in case if you ever want to build you're own computer, We got several guides that can help you along the way from chosing parts you need all the way to trouble shooting for majority of the problems that you could encounter.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288241-31-read-posting-buyer-guides-troubleshooting

it can be fun, can be cheaper to do than buying a custom build, and you'll gain experience.

ares1214

Splendid
yeah, knowing how to build computers is a very nice life skill, and can save you a lot of money. however, if you want prebuilt, atleast you arent considering dell or alienware, thats a step in the right direction :lol: although i need to know what programs you use, you very well may be able to get a 1500-2000$ computer that is more than enough for what you need. also, what parts do you need, what country are you from, and when is the estimated purchase date?

Timop

Distinguished
Do you mind building the PC yourself? Because doing that can save you quite a chunk of money and it isnt hard. Looking at Pugets site, seems like they mark-up the prices by quite a bit.

And yeah, christmas a long time, youd be much better off asking advice around then

Well with that,

I would recommend a system with

CPU: Phenom II x6 1055t or core i7 930 (or better)

4 or 8 GB of ddr3 1333 MHz ram (or if with the core i7's 9xx: 6 to 12 GB of ddr3 ram)

500GB hard drive

GPU: a Radeon 5750 or better.

Power supply: 500W or grater power supply. (if you go for a better graphic card, you might want to get an even higher wattage power supply.)

Windows 7 Home Premium.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Hex_Core_Configurator/

this should only place you around $1k to $1.5k.

Example: This would only cost $1,052
Case: CyberPower CX-9959 Lan Party Case w/ See-Thur Window [-16]
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
Freebies: None
Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
Motherboard: GigaByte GA-770T-USB3 AMD 770 Chipset Support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-II, RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 4 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI
Motherboard Expansion Card: None
Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory [+114] (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+80] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
Free Game: None
Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
Power Supply Upgrade: * 650 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-650TX - Quad SLI Ready [+101]
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: None
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Modem: None
Mega Notebook/Netbook/Server Bundle: None
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
Video Camera: None
Headset: None
Printer: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
Surge Protector: None
IEEE1394 Card: None
USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
Floppy: None
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: None
Ultra Care Option: None
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

Solution

taylorsealy

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
yeah i have to save some money up for it im only 18, im not rich haha. but so a new computer is going to be coming out around then. i want top of the line.

and building it myself...like by hand or selecting what i want in it from a website. im not a handywoman with computers haha.

ares1214

Splendid
any build we give him now isnt helpful for xmas. i dont mean this offensively to you, however people must understand the computer world is like the dog world, 1 day= 1 week. a LOT of things will change by then, anything we give you now might be replaced, new tech is out, prices drop, combos die, so its just not reasonable to ask, say more than 2 weeks before you are going to buy. i dont mean this offensively at ALL, however you must understand we cant really help much until a later date. although feel free to come back around xmas time, then id be happy to help.

With sites cyberpower or Ibuypower, you tell them what you want in the computer and they build it for you.

With Hand building you're own, you have to buy the individual parts like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161316 and have to put them in you're self. ;)

yeah i have to save some money up for it im only 18, im not rich haha.

Hey same here. 18 as well and not rich. :lol: Doesn't help about the time i was about to go for a part time job, i had to move but thats a whole other story. :pt1cable:

TRENDING THREADS