Deathwing1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I am having issues with my computer randomly freezing with a high-pitched whine. I think it only does it in videogames. Once on a reboot it told me it had suffered a "hyper transport sync flood error" but as this has only happened the once I don't know if it's a clue or a red herring. I have the following setup:

Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard updated to latest BIOS revision 3004
CPU AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 Black Edition running all four cores (have tried with ACC disabled but get same result)
GTX 280 graphics card
Creative Xtreme Music audio card
Corsair 4 x 2Gb CM72DD2G1333 ECC DDR3 RAM
PSU is an 850W supply (not sure what brand off hand)
128Gb SSD system drive (C) with Windows 7 64-bit OS
2 x 500 Gb Raptor HDD drives (D and E)
CD-RW and DVD drives (F and G) plus floppy disk drive (A)
There is an aircooled flow through the system with 2 rear and 1 front fan (these fans are clean)
The system is also watercooled with an EK GTX 280 water block and backplate and Zalman CPU water block

The watercooling has good flow and all components are cool to the touch except the RAM which gets hot but not too hot to touch comfortably (while earthed of course). I have tried reinstalling Windows and all drivers are up to date.

From reading other internet posts I thought it might be a problem with voltage supplied through the BIOS, and the recommended fix was to set the voltages manually. The BIOS has the following voltage options:

CPU
CPU/NB
CPU VDDA
HT
NB
NB 1.8V
SB

I have tried manually setting some of the above but am not certain what voltages are required and am worried about damaging components. I have contacted AMD but they could not recommend voltages for their CPU, all they could say was use the "auto" setting. I have contacted Asus and Corsair regarding the motherboard and RAM and am waiting to hear back from them.

That said the issue might not be voltage so if anyone has experienced the above issue and/or has any idea please let me know. Sorry for the long post, I've just had so many problems with this PC I'm really stressed out about it!

JimRaynor56

Distinguished
May 15, 2010

Is the noise coming from the speakers or from the computer itself?

banthracis

Distinguished
1. Make sure all drivers, especially GPU/sound are up to date.
2. Try using MOBO sound, ie unplug discrete card.

Let us know what happens.

Oh and stock V for a 955 BE should be 1.35v. AMD won't recommend higher v as OC technically voids the warranty.

Deathwing1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
It was an old comp but I've replaced nearly every component in it... except I think the soundcard! So that might be the answer, though it's been an expensive process finding out!

I'll try removing the soundcard later, thanks!

IceAether

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010

I have a similar problem with a similar setup:

Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard
nVidia GT 240 Graphics Card
1TB WD Hard Drive
Windows 7 OS (just re-installed it)

The system will freeze even when unstressed and play a high-pitched digital/white-noise whine through the speakers.

I was having issues with a USB controller until I uninstalled it but this problem was happening before then as well as after.

I have updated the video card drivers and the sound is integrated into the motherboard played via a headphone jack to a RCA plug hooked to my stereo. The system also likes to reboot without an observable cause: It will handle stressful multi-tasks without a problem and then reboot after 5 minutes of idling.

Hope we have the same problem and someone finds a solution