Sign in with
Your question

Laptop with Windows7 and laptop with VistaHome can't be online at the same time?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2010 11:28:04 PM

Hello,
We have two desktops running on Windows XP, one laptop using Windows7 and one laptop using Windows Vista Home Premium.

With our Linksys wireless router, both the desktops and ONE laptop can use the interrnet at the same time. However, when the second laptop (either one) tries to connect, the other laptop is kicked offline, and neither can connect to the internet. Until one is turned off and the other is rebooted numerous times.

Through the school's network, however, the laptop running with VistaHome has no problem connecting regardless of who is online (as there are usually ~80 people on at one time).

In short, it appears that our laptops can not be online at home at the same time and we have been treating the situation as such for a year now and it is getting kind of old having to communicate with eachother about what times we can use the internet.

At first I thought it might be a bandwith issue, though that seems highly unlikely considering we have DSL high speed internet.

So now we are thinking that possibly it is a problem between the Vista and Windows7 operating systems, though we can find no verification for that speculation.

Any ideas why our laptops can not use the same wireless internet connection at the same time?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 19, 2010 7:32:50 AM

If one of the computers has a fixed IP address (or had previously been connected via Windows Internet Connection Sharing) this may be the issue.

Check TCP/IP Properties. I don't use Vista or Windows 7 so you may have to improvise a little.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

I think I would also check the router's LAN settings to ensure that DHCP is selected.
m
l
Related resources
!