Question about Sony Memory Sticks

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 7:11:05 PM

I have just purchased a Sony DSC P150 camera. I use a 2 year old Sony Vaio
desktop (PCV-RX753) computer that has a slot for a Memory Stick. There is no
documentation for this in the computer's so-called "User's Manual" except to
point out that it exists--and no mention of it in the camera's manual. (Nor
can I find any info in the computer's on-line help.) My question is whether
there is any clear advantage to using this to download photos onto my
computer over using the USB port method described in the camera manual. In
other words, what would be the advantages or disadvantages? I've never used
a digital camera before and never had reason to use a Memory Stick of any
kind.

I did download a new driver for the Memory Stick port and will install it if
I opt to use that means of transferring photos to the computer. So far, have
only just charged the camera batteries and have taken no photos.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated--I'm a complete novice to
digital cameras.

Thanks!
Lola MacLean
(Remove the obvious to e-mail)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 11, 2004 4:19:41 AM

"Lola MacLean" <lmmaclean@spamfreeadelphia.net> wrote in message
> My question is whether there is any clear advantage to using this to
> download photos onto my computer over using the USB port method described
> in the camera manual. In other words, what would be the advantages or
> disadvantages?

There shouldn't be any disadvantages, and the advantages are, 1) you don't
have to power up your camera to download, 2) the direct-read method may very
well be faster than the USB transfer (your older PC doesn't have USB 2
support, I assume), 3) it's a whole lot more convenient than messing with
cords.

Give it a try both ways and see what you prefer.

I have the Sony DSC-P100 (same as yours but "only" 5.1 MP) and I enjoy it.
I bet you'll like your new P150!

Good shooting,
Bob Scott
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 11, 2004 4:19:42 AM

Thanks for your response! I wanted to be sure it really worked OK and was
the best way to download photos. I found so very little mention of it
anywhere. The fact that I had that port on my computer was one reason I
favored a Sony camera (other than the good lens) but was surprised that
using it wasn't discussed at all. (And no info about using it in the
computer manual or on their Web Site.) Was beginning to wonder if it didn't
function properly and was best forgotten!

I gather you can just take the stick out of the camera and put it into the
port--and it functions something like a jump drive would in a USB port? Is
there a right and wrong way of inserting it? (I can scarcely see into that
port.) I noticed I needed a new driver to use the Memory Stick Pro, so I
have downloaded that. Will install it before I use the port.

Thanks again,
Lola
a b } Memory
December 11, 2004 11:27:36 PM

Bob,

Your advice about the memory stick slot was right on. There is just NO
comparison between hooking up all those wires for USB and popping that
little stick out of the camera and into the computer! Works like a charm.
Thanks for your input--I might have remained leery of ever using it if you
hadn't responded.

Lola
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 12, 2004 9:03:24 AM

> Bob,
>
> Your advice about the memory stick slot was right on. There is just NO
> comparison between hooking up all those wires for USB and popping that
> little stick out of the camera and into the computer! Works like a charm.
> Thanks for your input--I might have remained leery of ever using it if you
> hadn't responded.

You're very welcome!

Enjoy your new digital Sony!

Happy Holidays and good shooting,