Solved

4850 Crossfire has lower than expected performance

So I just set up my new system and ran some benchmarks..

First I only installed 1 GPU and ran 3dMark06..

My result w/ 1 GPU = 12,954
Tom's result w/ 1 GPU = 14,643

This didn't seem like a big enough difference to get worked up about.. The issue came when I installed the second GPU..

My result w/ 2 GPUs = 17,479
Tom's result w/ 2 GPUs = 23,553

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what might be causing such a big discrepancy in the scores when I am in crossfire?

My specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
2x Sapphire Radeon 4850 (512 MB, 256-bit)
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
Corsair 750 W PS
ASUS M4A79XTD mobo
Acer 1920x1080 23"
4 gigs Gskill DDR3

ATI Driver ver. 8.712.0.0000 (latest, dl from catalyst ctrl ctr)

Your help and/or thoughts will be greatly appreciated..
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4850 crossfire lower expected performance
  1. is that the total score from 3dMark06, if os i think Tom's uses a core i7 for there tests (correct me if i am wrong)
  2. Overclock that CPU and try again. Tom has been known to use I7 975x @ 4.0 GHz lately, that will affect the score.
  3. I've never been able to find any system specs for Tom's graphics benchmarks (strange if you ask me)..

But does it make sense for the CPU to make such a big difference only in crossfire, and not in single GPU mode?
  4. mindless728 said:
    is that the total score from 3dMark06, if os i think Tom's uses a core i7 for there tests (correct me if i am wrong)

Yep Core i7 975X and now a Core i7 980X.

And yes it would make a difference with more than 1 GPU. From tests, the Core i7 CPU doesn't bottleneck a dual GPU setup as much as other CPUs do.
  5. Best answer
    Eclipsa said:
    I've never been able to find any system specs for Tom's graphics benchmarks (strange if you ask me)..

But does it make sense for the CPU to make such a big difference only in crossfire, and not in single GPU mode?

Its there in every article. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-5870-eyefinity6,2595-5.html
    The more powerful a GPU the more apparent a CPU bottleneck becomes.
  6. Best answer selected by Eclipsa.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon GPUs Crossfire Performance Graphics