7950 Gx2 Temperature issue

Blehstor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi guys. I bought an Nvidia 7950 Gx2 from a friend, he told me it worked well and i tried it at his house and it had no problems. But in my PC it gets too hot and all the games have terrible slowdowns and are unplayable.
This is are the idle temperatures:

rksjur.jpg

The fans are at 100% and that makes no difference. I've been thinking to put a cooler on top of the vga, but i dont know if it's worth it..

What do you think?

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Ah, the good old days, when 74c was a 'high' gpu temperature....

Anyways, to answer your question, if the card is bad, it's probably not even worth getting a cooler for, considering the 7950gx2 had very slim pickings for coolers, most were probably water coolers.

Not to mention, a very low priced card these days can out-perform it. You have a decent cpu, why not pair it up with a good video card ? A 90$ GTS 250 from Nvidia or 4770 from ATI will embaress that older card, while using less power and having newer features to boot.

I wouldn't spend much money trying to fix that card, as already stated a fairly cheap card today can outperform it.

If your set on keeping it then I would do as shubham1401 said, I Would also Clean off the old thermal paste and replace it with some quality thermal paste like MX-2.

By the way what board do you have (just indulge me) since I have its older brother the 7900gtx duo. First you need to take the card apart and clean the coolers as well replace the old stock compound. Next you need a spare fan and angle it near the card to blow cool air into the side of rear of the card to help improve air flow. Dual planar cards need more attention than single planar cards.

Blehstor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

The card reaches over 100º in newest games and that's when games start to die

this is my mobo: Biostar GF7050V-M7 SE (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

its so small, i cant put any pci slot cooler.. and the 7950gx2 barely fits :/

btw: the case has no dust, and nor does the vga.

Can someone point me where thermal paste is? thanks

To replace the compound you need to take the card out and take it apart. The top cooler may seam clean doesn't mean the bottom one is. This card is basically a brick composed of two gpus with their own boards. There is two cooler and each need to be cleaned and the old compound replaced.