Solved

Won't post after upgrade

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
February 4, 2011 11:27:43 PM

So I have a pcchips a15g mobo (Socket AM/AM2+)and have upgraded the cpu to a phenom II x4 920 and added 6 more gigs of ram. I also got a new 450w psu

After the initial installation, it took a while for it to boot to post, but after that, all was running well for a day.

The next day I accidentally restarted as windows was loading and now my computer won't even boot to post.

After a lot of searching, I've bench tested and found the problem probably has to do with the CPU or the Mobo. I hope it's something else. I've tried switching back the old CPU but that doesn't relieve any symptoms.

I've tried clearing the CMOS, with little luck.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking I need to upgrade the bios but I can't even get it to post. This is my third day straight working on getting this computer running again.

More about : post upgrade

Best solution

a c 913 à CPUs
a c 1185 V Motherboard
February 4, 2011 11:52:01 PM

Maybe the power required by the 920 was to much for the board, I cant find it on the support list http://www.pcchipsusa.com/PCCWebSite/Support/CPU_Suppor...
February 5, 2011 12:04:11 AM

Would that also damage the CPU?

I should also add that it took about 3 minutes for it to post from a fresh startup the times it did manage to post.
m
l
Related resources
a c 913 à CPUs
a c 1185 V Motherboard
February 5, 2011 12:21:22 AM

If that is what happened, since the board does not post with the old CPU, then most likely it is only the board that has issues.
m
l
February 5, 2011 12:34:11 AM

rolli59 said:
If that is what happened, since the board does not post with the old CPU, then most likely it is only the board that has issues.

I really hope it's only the mobo. It's a fairly cheap replacement. Thanks for the insight.
m
l
February 5, 2011 12:34:26 AM

Best answer selected by sasquatchx.
m
l
!