Is it ok to....

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Is it OK to wipe an LCD monitor with anti-static LCD screen wipes while its plugged in? Everything seemed fine, but I was wondering, should I unplug everything next time just to be safe? Good graphics are worthless with no monitor :(

Please let me know, thank you

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Oh, so the reason people would advise people to turn off the montior is because possible Static discharges killing pixels/and/or damaging the monitor?

I have been working with laptops since pentium CPU's and I see people dragging there fingers on the screen, pushing into it pointing at something and I have never seen a pixel fail because of that. (Then we have LCD touchscreens)

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

the reason it is advised that you turn your monitor off before cleaning is because the general public is not very bright, and likes to do things spray windex on a screen until is dripping off of it. By telling people to not use cleaning product and to turn off the monitor it absolves them on responsibility for others ignorant decisions.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Instead of using windex, why don't they just use a bucket of water? I'm sure that would get it clean :na: .
I use a slightly damp cloth every once in awhile to clean off my monitor and it still works fine.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I'm sure someone has used a bucket at some point, now a hose probably hasn't been used but to be honest I really wouldn't be that surprised if someone had