Return or keep

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Hi all. As most of you know by now, the Intel chip problem has affected all Sandy Bridge Mobos. Asus is prepared to take them back for refund or exchange if one chooses. After all the issues that SB has had and the fact that mine is still locking up once and a while, I am tempted to return the works and get a 1366 socket setup. My most likely choices are the Sabretooth X-58 and an Intel i7-950 with some good ram. The cost to me would be pretty much a toss so that is not an issue here.

I am seeking input from the masses with construction opinions one way or the other. Thanks in advance you your comments.

tecmo34

Administrator
You currently running the i7 2600k or i5 2500k??

I have no issues with your sending things back and going with the X58 setup with the i7 950 / ASUS Sabertooth X58. It is a very capable setup on a proven platform and very similar in performance. With an equal "toss" on the cost, it is a good move.

On the flip side, you have a few months, at most, to work through this issue before the replacements is there. It'll give you the newer (overclocking machine) technology to build off the future. In the long run, the P67 will be a great platform (better than the X58) but will be shadowed by the X78 (LGA 2011) later this year early 2012.

It is truly a tough call... basically it comes down to what you need now... If you need a stable highend PC now, go with the X58. If you can wait for a month or two and craw with your system, the P67 will probably be the better system moving forward (this all being said if you will not run more than 2 GPU's... 3 or 4 GPU's should be moved to the X58 platform... IMO).

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Wow, I sure am disappointed with the poor response I have received to my question. I have spent my hours helping others seeking help and after some 63 users looked at my post, just one bothered to respond. Anyway, thanks TECMO34 for your input. I had a 2500k.

Today I returned my sandy bridge equipment and got an i7-950 cpu with a ASUS Sabretooth x-58 mobo and more of that superb Kingston ValueRam. I have not had a single issue with the install, setup or operation thus far. I think I made a smart move.......

For those contemplating a return, the clock is ticking. If you are also wondering should I or shouldn't I.....ask yourself this: if they screwed up a simple thing, what else may go wrong? At least the 1366 socket has been tried and true tested and shown to be very stable and solid operationally. The only nagging issue has been its' reluctance to recognizing some sticks of ram but if you stick with the stuff on the QVL, you should be fine. Mine worked without a hick-up.

Good luck to all.

TRENDING THREADS