Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE Overheating

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 23, 2010 2:20:13 AM

Been Running AMD Phenom II x4 955 black edition for about 2 weeks now. I've been busy and haven't monitored temps to much. I put artic freeze on it for the thermal paste, and used the stock heat sink. I just used prime 95 and it hit 63C after about a minute and a half, I stopped it when it reached there. Should I get a new heat sink, I didn't think I used too much thermal paste. Maybe a bb size if that and spread it around so the processor was covered with a very thin layer. Should I just go with another heatsink? Is this normal. Idle is around 35-40C if windows 7 is set to balanced, but if I go to high performance it idles at 46C.
a c 105 à CPUs
July 23, 2010 2:25:21 AM

your idle looks fine for a stock HSF, the 955 runs hot. I have one myself. what do you get for load temps?
m
0
l
July 23, 2010 2:28:50 AM

I hit 63C after a minute and a half in prime 95. I closed it when I reached there. It's not overclocked at all either.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 23, 2010 2:35:02 AM

63C isn't that bad man, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Your idle temps are great and if its only gettin to 63 on a full load then you are just fine.
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
July 23, 2010 2:41:06 AM

prime 95 and full load are different, prime will push your CPU temps to extreme numbers you won't see while gaming, video editing, etc., it's a stress test. I use cinebench to test my CPU temps. Its a free program designed to test your CPU so it runs at 100% the whole time.
m
0
l
July 23, 2010 2:48:10 AM

When I was running a 955 BE, temps ran about 65c while running Folding at Home. I had a TRUE with two fans for cooling. There's no way around it, the chip runs warm. I used that 955 BE 24/7 from the time it first came out until about a month ago, when I replaced it with a 1090T. The 955 BE never gave a speck of trouble at 65c, so I wouldn't worry about the 63c.
m
0
l
July 23, 2010 2:48:35 AM

Should I run it longer than a minute and a half? When should I be concerned about damage to the cpu, amd lists 62C as max operating temp? I understand its a load test I am just curious if I can continue it, or if it will cause damage. Also what's your guys opinion on ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler should I see temps low enough so I can overclock?
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
July 23, 2010 2:52:56 AM

its a solid cooler and you can run the test longer, i think my 955 was in the low 60's during the test. its never gone above 53c in real life though, even after several hours of gaming.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 23, 2010 3:27:07 AM

jeverd01 said:
Should I run it longer than a minute and a half? When should I be concerned about damage to the cpu, amd lists 62C as max operating temp? I understand its a load test I am just curious if I can continue it, or if it will cause damage. Also what's your guys opinion on ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler should I see temps low enough so I can overclock?


I just realized that you didn't list the clock speed on your 955 BE. I was running mine at 3.7ghz, so if you are running your chip at a lower clock which seems to be the case as it sounds like you haven't overclocked it yet, you definitely need better cooling. AMD may list 62c as a max temp, but AMD is playing it on the very safe side. As I said before, I ran my 955 BE for many months, 27/7, at 65c without trouble.
Share
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2010 3:31:29 AM

Go in BIOS and bring down your CPU voltage to 1.20-1.25, many mobos give too much voltage to Phenoms on auto. I keep mine at 1.18, no overclock.
m
0
l
July 26, 2010 8:15:15 PM

sailer said:
When I was running a 955 BE, temps ran about 65c while running Folding at Home. I had a TRUE with two fans for cooling. There's no way around it, the chip runs warm. I used that 955 BE 24/7 from the time it first came out until about a month ago, when I replaced it with a 1090T. The 955 BE never gave a speck of trouble at 65c, so I wouldn't worry about the 63c.



I was curious about your reaction going from the 955 to the 1090. The reviews are great, but I was wondering if you felt good about the upgrade. At present I am running a 7750, so either is an upgrade... but I was just looking for some first hand insight. Thanks
m
0
l
July 26, 2010 8:35:28 PM

ginnai said:
I was curious about your reaction going from the 955 to the 1090. The reviews are great, but I was wondering if you felt good about the upgrade. At present I am running a 7750, so either is an upgrade... but I was just looking for some first hand insight. Thanks


I've been very pleased with the move from the 955 to the 1090T and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I should add that I use it for business programs and for folding at other times, so all 6 cores are put to use. If you don't have any programs which would take advantage of all 6 cores, then a 955 BE would be plenty good. The 1090T also runs substantially cooler and for my experience, uses a bit less electricity. If you run programs that can use all 6 cores, then I think you be happy with the purchase.
m
0
l
August 5, 2010 3:15:42 AM

Best answer selected by jeverd01.
m
0
l
!