What is the better : one HDD or 2 Raid HDD?

Nsync

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
If i get 1TB HDD better or get 2x 500GB HDD & make them Raid
Raid will be Raid 0, cuz i have an external HDD 1TB, so speed is the important not storage
then what is the better of them?

nhasian is right, if you have the bux.

RAID 0 will give you a noticeable improvement in serial reads / writes, but serial IO does not happen often. It will give you a smaller improvement in random IO. It will also make it about three times as likely that your drive will fail, and much more likely that data recovery will not be possible in case of a failure.

Unless you do frequent backups, I recommend either buying the larger drive or putting your system on one 500 GB HDD and your data on the other.

My personal opinion is that RAID should only be used to solve a specific need. If the system is fast enough without RAID0, don't even try it. My only exception to this rule is doing it for the fun of playing around with the hardware.

Nsync

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

if i get 500GB HHD & 30GB SSD, and use SRT: Smart Response Technology, to make Raid between them using SSD in cashing & HDD in Storage
what do you think in that?

Think it's second-rate. Better than an HDD on its own, but not much. If you can afford the bux, the change with apps and OS installed on SSD is amazing.

As ss202sl wrote, SRT is not RAID. It just requires controllers in RAID mode.

If we were sitting across a table over an alcoholic beverage, I'd just suggest that you forget about RAID until you have a nice, stable system and have a problem that RAID will help with. RAID is cool, but simple is better.