Sign in with
Your question

Not sure if my hard drive is about to fail

Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2012 2:15:59 AM

Hey guys, I've just built my new system 1 week ago and I have a M4 as my boot drive and a WD 500gb for storage.

I've had failing hard drives before and I know the clicking sounds associated with them...
My new WD drive makes 2-3 clicking sounds when waking up from sleep, or when booting up my computer. Is this something I should be worried about?

More about : hard drive fail

a b G Storage
July 3, 2012 6:48:12 AM

If you just built a new system a week ago it wouldn't hurt to swap out the 500G drive and have it replaced just to be on the safe side.
a b G Storage
July 3, 2012 8:09:48 AM

usually unusual noise from can be meaning motor problems....

If u had SMART enabled from bios, u can check smart data it will give u a signal of failing drives or u can using program like speedfan / seatool / etc to read it for u...

(some problems like electrical can broke the drive instantly, so SMART data only for reference, it wise choice to backup data periodically)

edit:
is your wd ticking sound same as spin up sound?

my wd 500gb caviar blue having spin up sound when turned on but it still good for now (3 month...)
Related resources
a c 357 G Storage
July 3, 2012 11:35:19 AM

Is this a green drive? They tend to park their heads a lot so that it can spin down and save power. If it's a subtle click it should be ok.
July 3, 2012 11:45:42 PM

No, it's a caviar black drive.

I ran a SMART test on the drive with SpeedFan and it did just fine, its fitness and performance both scored well... The drive only makes 2-3 small clunks when I'm booting up and now I'm assuming I'll be ok.
a b G Storage
July 4, 2012 4:05:02 AM

Looks like it's good to go, periodic backup important data is advised....

(not owned WD C_Black so cannot give more advice than that..)
July 4, 2012 4:41:50 AM

Yep, I'll be keeping an eye on it and defragging about once every two weeks, I'll let you guys know if anything else happens.

Thanks!
a b G Storage
July 4, 2012 7:40:39 AM

w7 will automatically defrag the drive for u periodically (I don't even know when he do it)..

But before we side tracked...... good luck with the drive.....
July 10, 2012 1:34:32 PM

This collections of articles: Hard disk recovery will help you in identifying if your disk is about to fall.
!