Can i put any 775 socket cpu on any 775 socket mobo??

megagabobe1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
sup guys, i was doing some research and saw that my mobo had a 775 socket for CPU, so one question: can i put any CPU in my mobo that has a 775 socket, or there is any other limitation?

Solution
Any socket 775 CPU will physically fit in any socket 775 motherboard, however it may not work as the motherboard may not support the CPU, at least not without BIOS updates.

megagabobe1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

this is my mobo, whats the maximum CPU i can put into it?? MSI MS-7525

THX for quick response!!!! =D

If this is the motherboard you mean, I would bet against it for a couple of reasons:

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/HP-OEM-MSI-MS-7525-Boston-Motherboard-464517-001-G31-PC/129593-1922574.html

First, there are two kinds of 775 processors -- the ones built on 65nm technology and the newer kind built on 45nm technology. Some of the older 775 motherboards were made when 45nm wasn't around yet ... some of them can handle 45nm with a BIOS update and some will never be able to handle 45nm ever. Your board looks old enough that it could be one of the very early 65nm-only kind.

Second, even if it COULD handle the newer CPUs with a BIOS update, it looks like you have an HP system, and manufacturers like HP don't like to issue BIOS updates that let you support new processors. They don't make any money off of you dropping in a new CPU that you bought somewhere else; they want you to buy a whole new system from them. There have been other instances of assembly companies doing this with different components, like Dell making a motherboard that took a specially made plug so it wouldn't work with other people's power supplies, and other things of that nature.

So in a nutshell, I'm pretty pessimistic about your chances. I definitely would NOT go out and buy a q9550 or something and just drop it in.

Yeah, IF it supports them. I love the Q6600 as much as the next guy, but with an aging HP machine, I doubt it supports either 65nm quad cores or 45nm dual cores. Maybe it could with a BIOS update -- but since it's an HP proprietary board, I bet they never put out a BIOS update. They WANT it to be obsolete as soon as possible. That's why I will never buy another pre-built machine from companies like that.

csodey

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Another thing you could check is the front side bus. Use CPU-Z to see what processor you have right now and check the specs on intel's website. If it is 1333 then just about any core 2 will work. If it is the older 1066, then you might want to find an older processor. Beware of the cheaper quads. Any higher clocked core 2 e.g. 3.0 or 3.33 will beat many of the cheaper quads.

megagabobe1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

my CPU right now is 1066 FSB i think, and is a core 2 duo e7400 OC'd to 3.3Ghz is 45nm 65w wolfdale 3MB Cache

You are not gonna get much better then what you have I wouldn't bother even looking at a new CPU for that board only dual core CPU's will work no quads will work on that motherboard.

csodey

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have had really good luck with my current ddr2 board. Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. However, do not buy crucial ballistix memory if you are going to upgrade your RAM. I am on my 2nd RMA and they last about 4 months so far.

Also, keep in mind that for the price it would cost to drop in the lower-end 775 quad cores, you could get a Phenon II x4 AND a new motherboard.

Or, for the cost of the very best 775 quad cores (Q9550, Q9650) you could get a six-core AMD processor that beats most i7's.

rohn_avni

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

why r comparing six cores vs four cores... there is no amd cpu that beats i7 980X six core.....

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Well.

He'd save the money from buying a new motherboard.