Sign in with
Your question

Acer lan driver problem XP

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
February 26, 2010 8:59:13 AM

Hi,

I installed XP on Acer Ferrari 3400. All the drivers seems to be working probably but I cant get internet connection. In fact, the lights on the network cable connection point are not showing anything. I suspect that the LAN driver I install or modem driver is not functioning properly. (got them from Acer website) Please help.
February 26, 2010 11:18:01 AM

It's not clear to me. Are you connecting to the Internet using a network (Ethernet) cable connected to a cable/dsl modem (either directly, or indirectly via a router), OR, are you using that dial-up modem? Your reference to the modem driver is only relevant if it's dial-up.
Anonymous
February 26, 2010 1:07:36 PM

I am connecting to the internet using network (Ethernet) cable connected directly.
Related resources
February 26, 2010 1:43:52 PM

Go to Start->Run, type "cmd" (no quotes), and hit Enter. In the command window, type "ipconfig /all > temp.txt" (no quotes) and post the file contents here. For privacy reasons, obscure the last three nodes of the “IP Address” field (e.g., if it’s 209.11.23.4, then make it 209.x.x.x).
Anonymous
February 26, 2010 2:09:51 PM

Thanks. I got the message:

Windows IP Configuration
IP Routing Enabled: No
Wins Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Media State: Media disconnected
Description: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

I think this driver is not working but I got it from Acer website. Where can get another one?
February 26, 2010 2:12:47 PM

Go to device manager, find the network adapter, see if it has a yellow icon w/ exclamation point or question mark (tell me which one).

Also report any status codes there, messages, etc., anything that might be helpful.
Anonymous
February 26, 2010 2:52:02 PM

There is no yellow icon on any of them. The status of the driver is that it is working properly.
February 26, 2010 3:22:29 PM

Then something else is going on because everything seems right. The output from ipconfig shows the media is disconnected, which can mean the network cable is not plugged in, or perhaps a bad network cable, or a network port is bad, etc., some kind of hardware issue.

And you're connected to the Internet as follows, correct?

[cable/dsl modem]<--wire-->[laptop]

Anonymous
February 26, 2010 5:03:58 PM

Thank you very much. It is possible that the driver statues is: working properly but in actual fact not working?
February 26, 2010 5:12:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much. It is possible that the driver statues is: working properly but in actual fact not working?

Well, what can I say, we have to assume it's true until proven otherwise.

One of the things I noticed is that you're using a Gigabit ethernet adapter. These can be finicky at times w/ older 10/100mbps devices, like your modem. So here’s another suggestion:

Shutdown the laptop. Pull the power plug (assuming you're using one) and battery.

Disconnect the network cable from the modem and pull the power plug.

Wait 10 mins.

Now power up the modem. Plug the ethernet cable back into the modem (PC should still be connected to the other end). Replace battery in laptop. Insert power plug (assuming you're using one) into laptop. Boot the laptop. Try to connect to Internet.

The idea here is to just get everything completely discharged. Start from scratch. I’ve seen this work on occasion. Sometimes when you hook up Gigabit devices to already running/active devices, you get weird behavior. It won’t connect, or it won’t connect at the right speed, or it’s far too slow, etc. Sometimes just powering everything OFF, waiting a bit, then powering everything up again gets things rolling. Simple enough to do, see what happens.

Anonymous
February 27, 2010 5:58:29 AM

Its not working. I am thinking of removing Gigabit ethernet adapter. What are the alternative LAN drivers for an Acer Ferrari 3400 on Windows XP?
February 27, 2010 7:13:30 AM

Quote:
Its not working. I am thinking of removing Gigabit ethernet adapter. What are the alternative LAN drivers for an Acer Ferrari 3400 on Windows XP?

Hmm, something just doesn't add up because the spec shows this laptop ships w/ a Gigabit Ethernet adapter and Windows XP. So I can't fathom how a correctly installed LAN driver wouldn't work. Did it work just prior to this install? Is there any other location (e.g., work) were you could test it? I suppose it’s possible the Ethernet port has failed (it does happen).

The only other suggestion I can make is perhaps trying a network switch if you have one. Maybe it’s that modem that’s having trouble, so try connecting the laptop and modem to the switch so neither is connected directly. Frankly, it’s safer to use a router (which comes w/ an integrated switch) anyway, even if you only have the one computer. Even a cheap one is better than none. And then you could invest in a wireless network adapter rather than spending money on a wired adapter.

WRT replacement, you only need a basic USB 2.0 10/100mbps Ethernet adapter. I can’t imagine any adapter that wouldn’t be XP compatible at this point. But you might want to check for Windows 7 compatibility if you suspect you’ll ever upgrade. You could even grab one off eBay to save a few bucks. Whatever you do, just make sure it’s USB 2.0. Some are USB 1.1, and might save a few bucks, but they will also limit you to 12mbps.

Anonymous
May 4, 2010 2:23:52 AM

Hi,

I've have the exact same thing happen on my Acer Aspire 3620, which also has a Gigabit ethernet adapter.

I've been trawling the internet for days, and seems like a common problem that no one has found a solution for.

Can anyone please help me?

Sean.
May 4, 2010 2:51:33 AM

....what exactly is your problem
March 9, 2012 12:34:21 AM

eibgrad said:
Go to device manager, find the network adapter, see if it has a yellow icon w/ exclamation point or question mark (tell me which one).

Also report any status codes there, messages, etc., anything that might be helpful.

In my case , exclamation mark is shown on network driver (acer desktop)

and not getting internet connection . Can you help me?

Mail Id - mighayelprathap@gmail.com
!