Your question

Laptop Wireless Connectivity Problem

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Routers
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 19, 2010 2:07:53 AM

My fiance recently left town to visit her family in Louisianna. Before leaving, her laptop was connected to, and could use, the wireless internet at home just fine. Her router at home is a D-Link. But upon arriving in Louisianna, she can not use the internet at her mother's house. She is using Windows Vista, and the router is a NETGEAR RangeMax Next Wireless Router WNR834B. They have tried many things. Restarting the router/computer, looking to see correct settings, etc.

Her laptop identifies the current Wireless network just fine, and connects to it just fine, with a great signal (shes in the same room as the router).But when she opens either Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome, her internet doesnt actually load. I've tried my best to try and talk her through settings and such, but I myself use XP, and have no idea how Vista's settings are set up, and such, so I am of little help.

Anybody able to help?

EDIT: She just signed into Skype no problem. But not MSN. But still no internet.

More about : laptop wireless connectivity problem

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2010 7:25:09 AM

Try switching off wireless security in the Netgear router temporarily -- that should help isolate where the problem lies.

Rather than spend hours on the phone over this it might be cheaper to buy an ethernet cable and link computer to router like that.

The only other suggestion I can offer is to check TCP/IP Properties.

Like you I don't use Vista so you'll have to improvise a bit.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.
m
l
!