Sign in with
Your question

New computer built. need help booting windows

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2010 7:18:13 PM

i5-750
p7p55d-e pro

I just put together my computer, and i got it to boot just fine, I am able to enter the bios and set the next boot to cd.

but when i reboot with the windows cd ( I believe its an ISO or burned copy I have my own key) it says "reboot and select proper boot device"

Am i doing somthing wrong in the bios? did i set somthing up wrong or is the dvd rom broken or the cd not bootable?

any help appreciated
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2010 8:00:40 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- If the DVD is an ISO file u will never can install the OS.
2- Make u sure that the DVD that u have is a booteable DVD
May 18, 2010 9:26:12 PM

When you go into your boot device priority settings, is the dvd drive listed? Or does it say something like atapi cd-rom or something like that? When I first put my build together, bios didn't see my memorex dvd drive, it just saw atapi cd-rom and my seagate hdd. The way I fixed it was to play with the jumpers. I think I made my dvd burner cable select and my hdd master and it seemed to boot up after I switched the jumpers to that setting. Not sure it'll solve your problem. If it's not a bootable disk you might be SOL.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2010 10:22:15 PM

Ya, if you just put the .iso file on the disk then it will never work. It is also completely hilarious.

An iso file is the description and contents of a disc including the stuff that says if it's a bootable disc. You have to burn it right.
May 19, 2010 12:09:43 AM

Copying the ISO is not what you need to do - you need to burn it...use something like ImgBurn to do it (great and lightweight). Then make sure to select CD/DVD drive and sellect it or put it first in the boot order.
!