Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

A curious call to Gigabyte about Sandy Bridge

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2011 10:12:57 AM

Gigbyte's website had information on the Sandy Bridge recall saying they required owners to register. So I called their number and they began immediately pressing me to return the P67A_UD3P to the vendor for refund. This is not even remotely a workable solution as I would then be left with no computer, i.e.; a processor with nothing to stick it in.
What? Buy a new platform until replacement boards are available? And I do what with the new platform when I re-buy the Sandy Bridge motherboard?
They have warned me that they will not be servicing or repairing the existing defective boards after awhile, hinting that I may be stuck with it.
On the face of it, this would appear to be an effort to circumvent their warranty, avoiding known future costs. But my understanding is that Intel has promised to bear all such costs.
Or, it could be profiteering to get the less expensive boards out of the stream now to sell the coming higher-priced boards back to holders of the LGA1155 CPUs.
It may also be possible that Intel will simply abandon the P67, and offer as replacement for the defective boards the next planned step in upgrades - as a token of appeasement to bereaved Sandy Bridge adopters.

Whatever it is, it smells like old fish in Denmark.
a c 1160 V Motherboard
February 5, 2011 12:08:13 PM

They want the boards back, then when they get the new chipsets they can turn them around quicker.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
February 5, 2011 3:38:23 PM

Intel is producing the replacement Chipset, and if GA can get your MOBO sent back to you with a replacement because they have one ready then that's one thing, but if they simply want to stock pile MOBOs until the P67 Chipset then that isn't a wise choice for you now. Full supply is expected sometime March~April.

Under the best of conditions expect to have no MOBO for 2~3 weeks after it's sent in. If the exchange is though say new egg then the turnaround could be in the 'days.'

Therefore, until GA offers: 1. Replacement MOBO or 2. Quick Turnaround guaranteed -- keep your MOBO and use the -> "2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0, SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices"
Share
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 12:46:29 AM

I appreciate your prescient analysis of what is to come when the MB repairs begin. This will help me prepare, but no amount of preparation can alleviate the fact that my work will stop dead if I am to have no computer for 2 weeks - such is nearly unrecoverable and I will lose clients. The best I can do is to wait until tax season is over to send my board back, and hope I can catch up somehow.
I have taken steps to ease the burden on the SATA2 ports by shelving one HD and leaving only the optical drives there, for speed fluctuations on the SATA2s already forewarn of a problem.

Geez, surely some LGA1155 motherboards were in stock that can be repaired first and swapped for ones coming in.... :cry: 
Score
0
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 2:46:21 AM

As I mentioned if you only use the SATA3 then you can use the MOBO and never have the need to return it. Otherwise if you need more SATA ports you can always purchase a separate SATA card -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It would be crazy to loose clients over $30!
Score
0
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 3:01:18 AM

BTW - What 'I' would do:
1. If needed purchase a SATA2 add-on card to hold me over until replacement MOBO is available.
2. Purchase a 'Duplicate' MOBO once available ; prior to purchase determine if 'Newegg' or whatever company purchased from will refund the 'old' MOBO once returned.

---

Downtime 1-2 hours!!! $30 kissed-off, and no loss of income!
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 9:21:33 AM

Option 2 would be workable. When the "duplicate" boards are out I'll do that; ask Newegg if they will allow a return 30 days later....under the circumstances.
Or, maybe I could find one on Ebay to use and resell.
Thanks!
Score
0
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 1:45:14 PM

In ether case, I wish you the best and hate this happened for you or anyone.

I'm not a teenager, I remember the Floating Point fiasco and ever since then I wait 2-3 months and/or 2-3 BIOS revisions. Otherwise in either case you're a Guinea Pig. Trust me I want the LGA 2011 SB and will be giving it a wide birth.

I'm certain 'you've been schooled' now to do the same. :( 

Good Luck for Tax season!
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 1:50:09 PM

Noworldorder said:
Gigbyte's website had information on the Sandy Bridge recall saying they required owners to register. So I called their number and they began immediately pressing me to return the P67A_UD3P to the vendor for refund. This is not even remotely a workable solution as I would then be left with no computer, i.e.; a processor with nothing to stick it in.
What? Buy a new platform until replacement boards are available? And I do what with the new platform when I re-buy the Sandy Bridge motherboard?
They have warned me that they will not be servicing or repairing the existing defective boards after awhile, hinting that I may be stuck with it.
On the face of it, this would appear to be an effort to circumvent their warranty, avoiding known future costs. But my understanding is that Intel has promised to bear all such costs.
Or, it could be profiteering to get the less expensive boards out of the stream now to sell the coming higher-priced boards back to holders of the LGA1155 CPUs.
It may also be possible that Intel will simply abandon the P67, and offer as replacement for the defective boards the next planned step in upgrades - as a token of appeasement to bereaved Sandy Bridge adopters.

Whatever it is, it smells like old fish in Denmark.


Why do you choose to come here and rant to us? This is the price you pay for being an early adopter. This is the reason I never buy a cpu or motherboard until the first or second revision. Why? Because until the bugs are worked out, I don't want it. Remember the Intel 815 chipset? Remember Phenom I? Remember the P55 foxconn sockets?

Your not stuck with it. They have to honor your 3 yr warranty no matter what. You think because there is a recall your warranty suddenly shrank to 30 days or something??

If you use SataIII, why even bother returning the board? Secondly, buy yourself a Sata pci card and your problems are solved.

This the stupidest recall ever. All Intel has to do is ship out pci-e sata cards to people instead of replacing the entire board. The replacement of the entire board should be a personal choice.
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2011 9:59:52 AM

Best answer selected by Noworldorder.
Score
0
a c 136 V Motherboard
February 13, 2011 10:29:30 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
0
!