Sign in with
Your question

Salvaging old parts for possible new build

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2010 8:16:14 PM

Hello,

I have an HP slimline pc (S3120N) and the motherboard is fried. Since that is the only thing that is not working, would it be possible to salvage everything else, purchase a new case and "non-HP motherboard" and put everything back together? I'm tyring to do this as economically as possible. A replacement HP mobo is $200 and I just cant see spending that much money only to have it fail again in 3 years. I've done some research and there is a problem w/ the HP slimline mobo's, so that is the reason for all of this.

Here are the specs from the slimline:
(I changed the memory to 2GB. as I got the upgraded one)

320GB Serial ATA (SATA) 3G hard drive - 7200 RPM
16x DVD+/- R/RW SATA dual layer LightScribe optical drive
Memory card reader - 15IN1, 4-slot, plus 1 USB 2.0 - Supports Smart media / xD, MMC / SD, Compact Flash I/II, MS / MS Pro
2GB memory module, PC2-5300, DDR2-667 SDRAM DIMM
Motherboard (system board) Hematite XL GL8E - Includes S-Video out port, PCI Express x16 graphics support, SATA 1.5 and 3.0 Gb/s support - No PCI expansion slots
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ processor - 2.2GHz (Windsor, 512KB Level-2 cache, 65-Watt, Socket AM2

Sorry if I left anything out, just let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Lon

More about : salvaging parts build

May 18, 2010 8:19:47 PM

Sure, it would be possible to salvage many of those parts.
m
l
May 18, 2010 8:48:37 PM

Thanks for you prompt response!

Roughly, what do you think the new mobo, case and anything else I couldn't salvage cost me?

Considering the cost of the new mobo, case, time and headaches, should I just spend $320 and get a new emachines PC?
Like I stated earlier, I'm pretty cheap and do not need a top of the line rig, like most of you guys probably have.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 80 V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 9:07:59 PM

Here's a case/motherboard combo that essentially gives you the case for free:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $69.99 (Rosewill R218-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case + ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard combo)

Here's a quality power supply. I wouldn't re-use the PSU out of your existing build as tempting as it may be. A quality PSU is the key to a stable system.

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $39.99

That would give you quality components for $109.98. :) 
m
l
!