Salvaging old parts for possible new build

Hello,

I have an HP slimline pc (S3120N) and the motherboard is fried. Since that is the only thing that is not working, would it be possible to salvage everything else, purchase a new case and "non-HP motherboard" and put everything back together? I'm tyring to do this as economically as possible. A replacement HP mobo is $200 and I just cant see spending that much money only to have it fail again in 3 years. I've done some research and there is a problem w/ the HP slimline mobo's, so that is the reason for all of this.

Here are the specs from the slimline:
(I changed the memory to 2GB. as I got the upgraded one)

320GB Serial ATA (SATA) 3G hard drive - 7200 RPM
16x DVD+/- R/RW SATA dual layer LightScribe optical drive
Memory card reader - 15IN1, 4-slot, plus 1 USB 2.0 - Supports Smart media / xD, MMC / SD, Compact Flash I/II, MS / MS Pro
2GB memory module, PC2-5300, DDR2-667 SDRAM DIMM
Motherboard (system board) Hematite XL GL8E - Includes S-Video out port, PCI Express x16 graphics support, SATA 1.5 and 3.0 Gb/s support - No PCI expansion slots
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ processor - 2.2GHz (Windsor, 512KB Level-2 cache, 65-Watt, Socket AM2

Sorry if I left anything out, just let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Lon
3 answers Last reply
More about salvaging parts build
  1. Sure, it would be possible to salvage many of those parts.
  2. Thanks for you prompt response!

Roughly, what do you think the new mobo, case and anything else I couldn't salvage cost me?

Considering the cost of the new mobo, case, time and headaches, should I just spend $320 and get a new emachines PC?
    Like I stated earlier, I'm pretty cheap and do not need a top of the line rig, like most of you guys probably have.
  3. Here's a case/motherboard combo that essentially gives you the case for free:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.391169 $69.99 (Rosewill R218-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case + ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard combo)

Here's a quality power supply. I wouldn't re-use the PSU out of your existing build as tempting as it may be. A quality PSU is the key to a stable system.

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $39.99

That would give you quality components for $109.98. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Hewlett Packard Motherboards New Build Systems Product