OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit

CHASSIS COLOR Cosmic Black, Alienware Aurora Chassis edit

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor edit

WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Year Basic Service Plan edit

VIDEO CARD Single 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 edit

MEMORY 9GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3 edit

MONITOR No Monitor edit

HARD DRIVE 1TB RAID 0 (2x 500GB SATA-II, 7,200 RPM, 16MB Cache HDDs) edit

OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit

COULD THESE ALIENWARE ARORA SPECS PLAY CRYSIS ON HIGHEST GRAPHICS?

Solution
That PC you listed is alittle unbalanced as the CPU is insanely powerful (and expensive) and the GPU is kinda mid range now and wont handle Crysis at max settings, more like med/high with little AA.

Building your own PC is cheaper (you don't think Alienware would be building and selling PC's to brake even or make a loss do you)

You can also decide exactly what you want and exactly how much you want to spend.

For example, you might decide that you don't want a sound card as todays onboard audio is pretty good, and that a Core i7 920 is plenty, and that a 980X is overkill for you.
Yeah with 2xAA it'll be peachy :)

If your using the stock intel heatsink then I wouldn't advice you to overclock at all.

Its recommened to invest in a good aftermarket cooler and some quality thermal paste if you want to overclock a core i7 (they run hot!)

jefw123

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Thankyou so much for the help so far. About the processor getting hot...... Would the Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling be good enough for this overclocking. Also it says that u have a i7 920 @4ghz. Is taht because u overclocked or is that the standard speed?

I'm not sure what the Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling kit consists of, and so I can't say whether its any good or not.

The stock speed of my processor is the same as yours (2.66Ghz). I've overclocked it to 4Ghz using a custom liquid cooling loop, although watercooling isn't needed for such an overclock, I just like silence and power.

A high end air cooler like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a powerful fan will allow you to overclock to 4Ghz.

If you have a link to the Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling kit I'll check it out and tell you if its any good.

jefw123

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
hey thanks for the reply. I wasnt able to find a link but, will keep looking. However, I did find this on tehir site when it was speaking about the pc.

'Liquid Cooling — With the Aurora’s high-performance CPU liquid cooling your rig will be more than twice as quiet as the standard heatsink and fan on other PCs. The High Performance CPU Liquid Cooling system delivers up to 3 metric tons of liquid per minute for every square meter of CPU die, increasing the reliability of your overclocked1 settings!'

Not SURE IF THAT HELPED BUT SEE IF IT SOUNDS ANY GOOD!!!

Just thought I'd tell you that you can build your own PC with the same power for less money than buying an alienware PC. Some people think that there not tech savvy enough, but there's plenty of help here at Tom's and people willing to help you out.

jefw123

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
awsome thanks so much!

Will i have to maintain it in any way. Like replacing tubes? refilling?

Also how long do u think this pc will last me? Would i be able to upgrade the processor to a six core in the future if need be?

It really depends on what metal they use, what coolant they use aswell. Its hard to say without knowing what the kit consists of.

And yes you can put a Core i7 980X (6 cores, 12 threads) into the motherboard that comes with your PC

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I had this, it absolutely crap the big water cooler... I bought my new corsair h50 which I thought will be worse but quieter...it turned out to be amazing. I had some problems with it because the fan setup is different from reg setup. I put the fans in a push/pull setup, which means it pulls air from the outside of the back(where usually it's supposed to pull air out).

My CPU idles at 34ish now and maxes at 75. And it's generally not loud at all. The fans do kick in around 70 , which u can adjust not to:)

it is a tad exp though :p.

king game

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
What is your REs

your gpu is the fastes single Gpu

it can run every game at 1080p with highest Settings and AA
even i run Crysis in highest settings in 1980X1050 with about 4Xaa i get great performance

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
The alienware cooler is mounted on the rear 120mm fan like the H50. Can't say about noise but I don't think they would sell something loud.

Anyway a top end air cooler can get the i7 to 4ghz anyway. The most efficient overclock for the i7 is 3.6ghz-3.8ghz.

jefw123

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
My resolution is fully HD also that is great to hear that the pc is so good. Its a shame about the water cooler though :( Is there anyway I could upgrade it later on in the future? Also I am very happy to hear that my motherboard supports the processor. My cooling also comes with a fan, will that improve it in any way?

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
ATM it's hooked up to my 720p tv. I am waiting to grab a 120hz monitor. My friend said some will go on sale next week I'll grab a 1080p one.

Right now I'm running 1366x768 16:9. But my 480 isn't here yet I'm pumping a awesome Ari 3450. I can max out hl2 with out hdr and as at an unsteady 40 fps. I can play l4d 2 without aa and shaders at 10 to 30 fps :)

oh and I can crash on crysis when I load in game ;)

king game

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
i would recommend you to Keep your PC Just the way it came.after a Few years(2Years) get a new one which is assembled.

I was about to make the same mistake the alienware attract people like Hell!!!!!

jefw123

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Wait! What why is your system not able to hand games like l4d2? Is it because of your graphics card compared to my one. Also is ur processor overclocked. The 120 HZ monitor sounds cool though!

jefw123

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Lol I only have a crappy work laptop atm which I need to replace with a PC. What do u guys say about this pc compared to the alienware? Would it still run crysis very high?

Oerating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-980X six-core Extreme Edition [3.33GHz, 1.5MB
L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache] edit

Memory 9GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [5 DIMMs] edit

Hard drive FREE UPGRADE! 1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 1TB edit

Graphics card 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters] edit

Primary optical drive Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner edit

Networking Premium Wireless-N LAN card edit

Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio edit

TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner edit

Sound Card Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports edit

Speakers 20% OFF! Logitech X-540 5.1 stereo speakers edit

Keyboard and Mouse HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse edit

Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0 edit

Security software Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month

NOT SURE ABOUT THE COOLING THOUGH..............DOESNT SAY!

IT IS AN HP 190t elite for around 2,300 dollars

king game

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
profile-296006.htm

TRENDING THREADS