MemTest86, Can't find Ram Speed for DDR1 on screen.

scampy_008

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hi There,

Im using Memtes86 to test DDR1 memory. Im using Memtest of Hirems boot CD to boot.

It loads up with a blue Screen, gives me module size but I can't see memory speed anywhere.

EG
PC3200, 400Mhz, should show as 200Mhz
PC2700, 333Mhz, should show as 166Mhz
Pc2100, 266Mhz, should show as 133Mhz

Have has a play around with it but can't diagnose the speed without going into windows and running PC Wizard.

Need to check sppeds in Memtest really if possible.

Any Advise/help appreciated

Use CPUz -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and look at the Memory -tab then multiply the DRAM Frequency X 2 {DDR - Double Data Rate} to determine the actual DDR running speed and CAS timings. The numbers you have listed are the various JEDEC speeds; see the SPD -tab in CPUz.
softwares-cpuz-04.jpg

scampy_008

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hi Rolli,

Its for testing the integrity of the Ram for resale purposes.

Memtest does not seem to provide that facility. All Ineed to do is classify it into 3 groups according to ram speed and check its working properley. The 3 group as talked about ealier (133MHz, 166Mhz and 200Mhz etc<--This is what I can't see on Memtest)

Can you suggest anoher tool instead????

I didn't miss anything, Memtest doesn't report what you want; Memtest is the de facto RAM testing utility - not setting utility. If the BIOS DRAM Frequency is set at e.g. 600 MHz then the RAM is running at 600 MHz if that frequency is not supported the PC will fail to post but otherwise it is running at the frequency set in the BIOS. CPUz or any App simply polls the BIOS to get that info.

Meaning, I've never seen 'yet' where the BIOS is set at one number/frequency but the RAM is running at a different frequency. The only 'oddball' thing for people is seeing 200 MHz vs 400 MHz; DDR Double Data Rate.