Sign in with
Your question

Wireless LAN PCI card not passing POST..

Tags:
  • Antec
  • PCI
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 23, 2010 8:08:38 AM

I bought a Rosewill wireless N PCI card that when installed will not let the computer get pass POST. The card does work, somehow after many hours of swapping cards around various PCI slots and enabling/disabling things in the BIOS it booted, detected in Windows 7, installed, and was able to connect to the internet. I went away for a bit, came back and my computer was frozen. I have no idea what I did to get it to work the one time but Im positive it isn't the cards fault.

More about : wireless lan pci card passing post

July 23, 2010 1:25:08 PM

Just to confirm - your PC works normally without problems when the wireless PCI card is removed from the system?
m
l
July 23, 2010 2:05:01 PM

Yes. I even tried putting the card in while my PC is running, but of course my computer locks up after a few moments.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2010 2:10:10 PM

What version of windows are you running? Did you install the correct 32bit/64bit driver software for the LAN card?
m
l
July 23, 2010 2:11:03 PM

Windows 7 64 bit and yes, I went on the manufacturers site and got the driver from there.
m
l
July 23, 2010 2:16:07 PM

Type in device in the Start menu Search bar and go to Device Manager.
Use SCAN for HARDWARE CHANGES under Actions menu.
When Device Manager window opens look through all the devices looking for yellow or red flags to see if anything is happening. On Network Adapters look over the
m
l
July 23, 2010 2:18:51 PM

I cannot boot up my computer at all with the device plugged in. If I plug it in while I have my device manager window up and hit scan for hardware changes my computer instantly locks up. I got it to boot up once last night somehow with it in and it appeared under network devices and I don't know how..
m
l
July 23, 2010 2:31:18 PM

You never should install hardware with the system powered up.

I think I'd try System Restore to an earlier date. Do some testing to make sure the PC is running stable then try the install again. Driver software installed first. The power down, install hardware. Reboot and scan for hardware changes if the system doesnt detect it during bootup.
m
l
July 23, 2010 3:49:44 PM

WR2 said:
You never should install hardware with the system powered up.

I think I'd try System Restore to an earlier date. Do some testing to make sure the PC is running stable then try the install again. Driver software installed first. The power down, install hardware. Reboot and scan for hardware changes if the system doesnt detect it during bootup.

Just did a reformat and reinstalled Windows 7. Nothing is different..

I tried booting with just the wireless adapter installed, reseating my RAM, removing the cmos battery, and resetting the BIOS via jumpers but nothing has worked :(  Whats so frustrating is how I actually got it to work only for it to revert back..
m
l
July 23, 2010 3:53:48 PM

What model of wireless Lan card did you get?
Time to check the NewEgg customer comments and see if anyone else is having the same problem.
m
l
July 23, 2010 3:58:03 PM

WR2 said:
What model of wireless Lan card did you get?
Time to check the NewEgg customer comments and see if anyone else is having the same problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ordered it last Thursday, arrived monday. Contacted customer support when it didn't work and they mailed me another free of charge. New one also isn't working for me.
m
l
July 23, 2010 5:30:27 PM

After looking over the NewEgg customer comments it seems you're not alone with that type of problem.
Nothing helpful in how to solve the problem though. I can't think of anything else to try.

Except maybe try a different adapter.
m
l
July 24, 2010 12:10:08 AM

Do you have any idea why this could be happening? Whats causing it? I thought it may be the power supply until i removed every nonessential device and it still wouldn't boot..
m
l
July 24, 2010 12:44:44 AM

I had serious doubts about a PSU problem since it happened at essentially idle power loads.
Removing the non-essential items pretty much confirmed that.

PCI slot problems can mean IRQ conflicts. Does the Wireless adapter manual say anything about changing IRQ assignments?
http://www.itoperationz.com/2010/04/how-to-resolve-irq-conflicts/
m
l
July 24, 2010 12:59:14 AM

Didn't come with a manual. I looked into it being an IRQ conflict earlier and the use automatic settings box is grayed out.
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:11:05 AM

What motherboard are you using?
Have you checked the BIOS to see if it's reserving any IRQs that can be freed up?
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:17:44 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

It won't let me update the driver because Im not using Windows XP...

Also theres an unknown device "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Embedded Controller" which apparently has something to do with power management..how do I go about identifying this device, as it doesn't have the a vendor/device ID like a PCI device would.

Thanks for all the help btw. I could just buy a USB adapter but I like a good challenge I guess. If we manage to fix this ill be in your debt.
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:22:25 AM

It looks like "plug and play" (or plug and pray) isn't working right.
See if you can get a hint or two on BIOS IRQ settings from this forum thread: manually change irqs
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:48:57 AM

My BIOS menu is very basic. I don't have any options to change around IRQ settings. I can enable and disable various ports, enable and disable plug and play, and choose my video display (PCI, PCIE, or onboard). Right now I have everything disabled (LAN, onboard audio, parallel port, USB legacy, PS/2 mouse, PnP OS).
m
l
July 24, 2010 4:49:58 AM

I have a hunch that my computer thinks its a video card for some reason, even after I uninstalled drivers, set my main display in the BIOS to PCI-E, and even completely removed my video card from my PCI-E port and just used onboard..
m
l
July 25, 2010 1:20:01 AM

Could reseating the CPU or putting the ram in different slots possibly work? I have the disk checker running at the moment but so far no errors have been found.
m
l
July 25, 2010 1:40:53 AM

I don't see how that would make any difference.

Not that it will probably help....but give give Belarc Advisor - Personal PC Audit free utility software.
m
l
July 25, 2010 1:59:18 AM

FWIW - I had the same thing happen with a clients older pc and it was the Class N interfering somehow. Once I managed to disable that its worked fine in class g for the past 2 months. They only had a class b/g router so didn't loose any speed.

edit - Also see if you have a "Reset Configuration Data" (or simular) in your bios. if you do then yes/enable it and save&exit.

This resets all the pnp info stored in the bios which is basically the 'what device gets what irq' master list. It will be back to off/disabled when you go back into the bios again.
m
l
July 25, 2010 2:04:03 AM

How do I go about disabling 802.1n on the card? I only have a b/g router anyway.
m
l
July 28, 2010 10:07:48 AM

The back USB ports don't work either. I take it the motherboard is dying?
m
l
July 30, 2010 4:38:54 PM

Final bump...
m
l
!