Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Moving SSD From Old Computer To New

Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2012 5:05:49 PM

I just bought a new SSD and I am planning to eventually make it my main drive (using RAID-0 now). I am going to be buying a new motherboard and cpu in a few months, but I wanted to grab the SSD while it was one sale ;) . If I put the SSD in my current computer, install windows and some programs on it, will I run into any issues when I get my new motherboard and CPU? I know my RAID-0 will be gone, but I hope to have everything I need transferred over to my SSD by the time I order my new parts.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

More about : moving ssd computer

a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 3, 2012 5:19:32 PM

yes, aside from the licensing issues it wont work anyway. You need to do a fresh install of windows when you move it to a new motherboard.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 289 G Storage
July 3, 2012 5:21:08 PM

It won't boot, because the installation will have the low-level drive for the old motherboard and other hardware. There are several solutions. Backup your drive first in case one of these solutions damages it.

1) With only the SSD attached to the motherboard, boot to the Win7 DVD and do a Repair installation.

2) Or make a backup of the drive with a tool such as Acronis True Image or EASEUS ToDo backup. These tools have an option to "restore to dissimilar hardware," which will twiddle said low-level drivers.

3) Bite the bullet and re-install on the new machine.

4) Lots of others. Members, what else can the OP do?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 3, 2012 5:32:35 PM

If both mother boards are Intel based it might work. I have gone from a p67 to a z77 no problem. This is sort of like play Russian roulette. You’re better off doing a clean install of windows on the new motherboard.
m
l
July 3, 2012 5:34:30 PM

bucknutty said:
If both mother boards are Intel based it might work. I have gone from a p67 to a z77 no problem. This is sort of like play Russian roulette. You’re better off doing a clean install of windows on the new motherboard.

I'm going from an AMD board to an Intel board :( . About as dissimilar as it gets.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 3, 2012 5:37:55 PM

Yah my bet is if you try to just plug the drive into the new board windows will just blue screen. A repair installation would most likely work.
m
l
July 3, 2012 5:48:11 PM

I'll try one of the programs WyomingKnott suggested as well as a repair install. And if all else fails, I'll just have to reinstall Windows and start over again :( 

Which of the two backup programs (Acronis and EASEUS) do you think would have a better chance of success. I've only ever heard of Acronis and I've heard mixed reviews.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 289 G Storage
July 3, 2012 6:34:31 PM

EASEUS is free. That's an advantage.

If I were doing it, I'd have an image backup of the drive so I could reset it if need be, then do the installation DVD route. I'm a sort of primitive tool user.
m
l
July 3, 2012 7:09:29 PM

WyomingKnott said:
EASEUS is free. That's an advantage.

If I were doing it, I'd have an image backup of the drive so I could reset it if need be, then do the installation DVD route. I'm a sort of primitive tool user.

I'll probably end up making a few different images and using a few different methods to get this to work. Thanks for all the help!
m
l
July 3, 2012 7:09:47 PM

Best answer selected by inuyashamish.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 3, 2012 7:55:51 PM

i just got your name.... funny..

inuyasha
amish

I guess your a cat demon who lives on a farm, shuns tecnology, and makes furnature in your spare time.
m
l
July 3, 2012 8:14:03 PM

bucknutty said:
i just got your name.... funny..

inuyasha
amish

I guess your a cat demon who lives on a farm, shuns tecnology, and makes furnature in your spare time.

I try to tack 'amish' on the end of all my names. You may be the first person to ever comment on it.
m
l
!