Clean installed, CPU got weaker? Phenom II 555BE

Chango99

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
So I clean installed from W7 Home Premium to W7 Pro and noticed my WEI score dropped from 7.3 to 6.6. I was confused, thinking maybe it's just WEI being bad, but I ran HyperPi and I also saw that it went from 18.5s for 1M to 22.0s.

What could possibly be slowing down my CPU? I OC'd it from 3.2GHz to 4GHz and was able to get HyperPi up to 18.2s, but no change to WEI, and this is a high OC just to meet what I was getting at default settings before.

Solution
The sad thing is, you don't have any backup image of the system drive you could restore, however that's what I suppose.

However, like Enzo Matrix says, one CPU is a quad, the other a dual core. It's strange in the first place you got exactly the same WEI scores in the old Home Premium install. I also think that WEI tests CPU's on their capability to run multithreaded programs, so it sounds natural to me the 955 gets a better score than the 555. Windows 7 is knows for its optimizations for multi-core CPU's.

As far as the Pi test are concerned, I would look for some benchmarks on the web on both CPU's and see if the score the same.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
First about the WEI. This score is actually the lowest score in a series of tests. Mostly the HDD gets this score, so OC'ing the cpu will not increase the WEI. You can click WEI to see all test scores.
However it is strange that probably your hdd gets a lower score now, or maybe you've installed a slower one?

The lower Pi test score is not right however. Please report everything that has changed on your machine (both hardware and software) since the previous windows installation.

Chango99

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I know how WEI reports. I am specifically mentioning that the CPU WEI score dropped. My original scores were 7.3-7.4, but now I have the CPU reporting 6.6. I have an SSD so it's not the problem here.

Hardware/software change is a little complicated. I installed a 955 BE which went faulty on me, I returned it, and went for a cheaper 555BE (Why did I do this lol). I did not clean install after installing the 555BE, but it worked... maybe the 955 BE driver was better? I'm not sure.

Software I can't really say much here. I didn't really have any software affecting the CPU, so a clean install should have left it the same.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
OK but the change in results was on the same CPU, the 555BE?

I read about the WEI that standards can change as hardware improves so your score may go down, even when the hardware is still as fast as before.
However in your case, also HyperPi goes down, so that's to worry about.

About Windows 7 pro, is it a legal version bought from Microsoft?

Did you install latest drivers for your motherboard according to your OS? There's no such thing as a cpu driver.

Check processes in task manager and services. Are there more running then before?

Chango99

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Yes same CPU. WEI score was 7.3 for a long time.

W7 pro is legal bought from M$ ultimate steal going on atm.

I just let the OS install my drivers.

ANd I don't know if there are more processes running right now. I don't really monitor that...

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
You should download the drivers manually and install them one by one. Don't know what mobo brand you have but just go to their site, browse for your mobo, select your OS and download all available drivers, usually chipset, lan, audio and sata drivers. Additional usb drivers may be available too.
To make their install as clean as possible, OS reinstall is recommended.

BTW: using caps in your last sentence really does not make any sense. It's considered as being rude. I'm just trying to help you here.

Chango99

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
What are you talking about caps...? I accidentally capitalized the N in And?
I wasn't being rude at all.

I don't understand why I would have to manually install drivers when it was automatic the first time.

loneninja

Distinguished

Windows may have loaded rather generic drivers, or older drivers than what would be found online from the various hardware vendors.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You can edit your message after posting though. It just seemed like you were getting tired of all my questions. ;)

The reason why it tell you to manually install them is because I want to rule out any possibility of a system being slowed down by bad drivers.
Maybe the it is just the Pro version of windows, being heavier on the system. If its not too annoying, reinstall the home edition again and see benchmark results. If their the same as before, there's nothing wrong with your hardware and it's the software that's guilty. In that case the best thing you can do is manually install latest drivers, specific for your os and mobo, disable unwanted startup items and read through a guide about minimizing the amount of running services. There are many you can disable, I can tell you, especially windows "safety features", like security center, firewall, defender.

That's really the only thing you can do only if the slowdown has nothing to do with your hardware.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

That's very strange. When it comes to hardware, it works or does not, not something in between.

Did you also ran the Pi test in Home Premium? How was that score?

Hardware/software change is a little complicated. I installed a 955 BE which went faulty on me, I returned it, and went for a cheaper 555BE (Why did I do this lol). I did not clean install after installing the 555BE, but it worked... maybe the 955 BE driver was better? I'm not sure.

Am I the only one not confused that after you changed from a x4 955BE to an x2 555BE that your CPU scores were reduced? Doesn't hyperpi use multiple cores? WEI certainly does. Am I missing something?

In your original post you said hyperpi. I thought that was the multi-threaded version of superpi.
And again, no. WEI calculates on multiple cores.
I'm still confused. In my mind this happened:

-You ran all benches on the 955 with 4 cores
-You returned it because it died and got a 555 with 2 cores
-You ran the benches again and are wondering why the scores are lower
???

Chango99

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

I ran WEI on the 955. I returned it.

I installed the 555 and ran WEI again and still got a 7.3.

I THEN reinstalled W7 and my scores dropped.

HyperPi/SuperPi, same thing. They both calculate the cores individually.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
The sad thing is, you don't have any backup image of the system drive you could restore, however that's what I suppose.

However, like Enzo Matrix says, one CPU is a quad, the other a dual core. It's strange in the first place you got exactly the same WEI scores in the old Home Premium install. I also think that WEI tests CPU's on their capability to run multithreaded programs, so it sounds natural to me the 955 gets a better score than the 555. Windows 7 is knows for its optimizations for multi-core CPU's.

As far as the Pi test are concerned, I would look for some benchmarks on the web on both CPU's and see if the score the same.

Solution

popatim

Titan
What I beleive happened is he ran WEI on the quad-core and got 7.3, replaced the 955 with the 555 dual core and booted back up and ran WEI again and got the exact same score so I beleive WEI did not recalcualte but rather just redisplayed the previous scores.

Tell me, after you installed the 555 and displayed WEI, did you click the 'Re-Run the Assesment" link on the bottom right?