Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question


  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2010 11:15:23 PM

Budget: 400
Preferred Store: Newegg
Use: gaming
Resolution: 1440X900
Parts: AMD/ATI

Just got 400 bucks to spend on upgrading my comp, and I was hoping for some suggestions.

Current build:
CPU: AMD Phenom 9750 OC'd @ 3.01 Ghz
GPU: ATI 4870 1Gb
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W
Mobo: ASRock 780gxe/128M
RAM: 4Gb Crucial 1066Mhz
HDD: 250Gb Western Digital= Main; SATA from roughly 3 years ago.
2.5 Tb Storage spread across 3 other drives
CASE: Antec 900
I was thinking of a CPU upgrade and get another 4870, and then later, when I accumulate some more funds in a few weeks, get a new mobo/ram, but I'm not entirely sure my PSU could handle it.

Any suggestions welcomed.

More about : upgrade

May 19, 2010 1:51:46 AM

I would switch out the CPU for this one first of all
  • AMD Phenom II X4 955 -$160-

    You could add another 4870, but you would need more PCI-e connectors than your PSU has (4), so you would either need to get a new one or try to get some adapters for it.
  • Asus Radeon HD 4870 -$160-

    Here's another PSU if you'd rather not use adapters
  • Antec TP-750 -$120-

    Finally, you would probably get much better performance out of a new HDD
  • Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB -$55-
    May 19, 2010 2:54:59 AM

    I was considering the F3 as well, but as far as CPU goes, I wouldn't mind spending the extra thirty bucks for the 965. It's my understanding that its increased energy efficiency makes it a better overclocker.

    As for GPU, would it be worth it to get a second 4870, or go with something like a 5830? I'm more than a little suspicious when it comes to crossfire, as I've heard that some games actually perform worse, and it does eat up a lot more power.
    Related resources
    May 19, 2010 3:07:10 AM

    You can sell your 4870 and get a HD5850, the 5830 isn't worth it.
    May 19, 2010 3:15:59 AM


    My suggestion would be put the $400 toward a ATI 5850, sell your 4870 than upgrade to the Phenom II X4 955 C3 Version (if your motherboard supports) & go with Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB to replace your current hard drive

    Don't worry about your MOBO & RAM, if you don't plan to Crossfire. There is not much of a performance increase in doing so to justify the cost... IMO (On a new build Yes)
    May 19, 2010 4:08:08 AM

    Hows this:

    Get new HDD next month and new GPU after that.
    Seems to me that the 4870 is still a more than solid card, especially at my resolution; while at the same time the 1055t and faster RAM/mobo ought to allow my comp to really fly.

    I realize that gaming isn't drastically improved by 6cores, but I know how to OC even a non BE chip, and I've read that the 1055 can get reliably to 3.7Ghz, which is damn fast. Unless I'm truly off the mark, a new GPU shouldn't be necessary until at least Christmas, or whenever Id decided to release RAGE.
    May 19, 2010 5:52:40 AM

    Oops, didn't read your resolution. At that resolution your system is still very solid CPU and GPU wise, get back after you get a full HD monitor.
    May 19, 2010 5:16:20 PM

    Meh, I've never really seen the point in gaming past 19-21 inches; it just seems like too much. It's basically just watching Tv uber close at that point, lol. Perhaps growing up with 17inch monitors has jaded my perception, but I just don't see the allure in spending 200plus dollars for a bigger monitor.

    Best solution

    May 19, 2010 5:33:32 PM

    1st duke of marlborough said:

    Didn't realize that 1333 and 1600 were the same price. Weird.

    Actually, I would go with the Cas7 version at the same price!! G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM