Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sata + IDE

Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2012 6:04:22 PM

I have a pc with a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P mobo running Win XP home with a SATA hd. I notice on the system board there is a IDE connector. Is it possible to take a HD (IDE) from another Win XP pc and run it in the newer (SATA) pc as a second (slave) hd?

More about : sata ide

July 3, 2012 7:05:28 PM

Yes, it should work, though you may lose one of your SATA ports in the process if the chipset does not have native IDE support.
m
l

Best solution

July 3, 2012 7:23:47 PM

You should check with the manufacturer of your mobo and ask for confirmation that it is indeed possible. I have an Asus mobo and had purchased it with that same intent. Their marketing stated it would work. After about a month of finger pointing between Asus, Microsoft and Western Digital a high level Asus tech finally admitted that it was not possible with the model of my board.
Related resources
July 3, 2012 8:59:53 PM

punahou1 said:
You should check with the manufacturer of your mobo and ask for confirmation that it is indeed possible. I have an Asus mobo and had purchased it with that same intent. Their marketing stated it would work. After about a month of finger pointing between Asus, Microsoft and Western Digital a high level Asus tech finally admitted that it was not possible with the model of my board.

Thank you that sounds very reasonable. RustyMan
m
l
July 14, 2012 8:54:47 AM

Best answer selected by RustyMan.
m
l
!