Solved

Sata + IDE

I have a pc with a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P mobo running Win XP home with a SATA hd. I notice on the system board there is a IDE connector. Is it possible to take a HD (IDE) from another Win XP pc and run it in the newer (SATA) pc as a second (slave) hd?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sata
  1. Yes, it should work, though you may lose one of your SATA ports in the process if the chipset does not have native IDE support.
  2. Best answer
    You should check with the manufacturer of your mobo and ask for confirmation that it is indeed possible. I have an Asus mobo and had purchased it with that same intent. Their marketing stated it would work. After about a month of finger pointing between Asus, Microsoft and Western Digital a high level Asus tech finally admitted that it was not possible with the model of my board.
  3. punahou1 said:
    You should check with the manufacturer of your mobo and ask for confirmation that it is indeed possible. I have an Asus mobo and had purchased it with that same intent. Their marketing stated it would work. After about a month of finger pointing between Asus, Microsoft and Western Digital a high level Asus tech finally admitted that it was not possible with the model of my board.

Thank you that sounds very reasonable. RustyMan
  4. Best answer selected by RustyMan.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA HD Windows XP Storage