RustyMan

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I have a pc with a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P mobo running Win XP home with a SATA hd. I notice on the system board there is a IDE connector. Is it possible to take a HD (IDE) from another Win XP pc and run it in the newer (SATA) pc as a second (slave) hd?

Solution
You should check with the manufacturer of your mobo and ask for confirmation that it is indeed possible. I have an Asus mobo and had purchased it with that same intent. Their marketing stated it would work. After about a month of finger pointing between Asus, Microsoft and Western Digital a high level Asus tech finally admitted that it was not possible with the model of my board.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
You should check with the manufacturer of your mobo and ask for confirmation that it is indeed possible. I have an Asus mobo and had purchased it with that same intent. Their marketing stated it would work. After about a month of finger pointing between Asus, Microsoft and Western Digital a high level Asus tech finally admitted that it was not possible with the model of my board.

Solution

RustyMan

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Thank you that sounds very reasonable. RustyMan