Sign in with
Your question

Laptop bad processor symptoms

Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2010 1:16:06 PM

Hello,
I have two laptops, both gateway, that are having issues right now. The first will turn on, but no bios and no video. I plugged it into an external monitor thinking it was the inverter, but no video there either. The second will turn on then immediatly turn off. I have swapped the two processors and memory between the two and they show the same symptoms. I am thinking both the processors are bad. Any thoughts?
a c 159 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2010 3:55:59 PM

I think that the problem is the mobo and not the CPU.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
July 23, 2010 4:09:32 PM

A cpu being bad is extremely rare. The only dead processors I have are before the time of auto shutdowns before overheating, built right into the CPU for safety.

I have two laptops, both gateway
That literally tells us absolutely nothing about your two laptops.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2010 4:53:15 PM

I was thinking it was the motherboard as well. One of the laptops is a MT6840 and the other I will have to get the model number from home. They are both core duo processors, so they do have thermal shut down features. I was able to get my hands on a working HP laptop that also has a core duo processor. So I will be able to swap the processors into the working HP and report back what I find.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2010 4:56:04 PM

Are u sure that all the laptops support the CPUs? Because u can change the Gateway CPU to the HP laptop but if the mobo don't support that CPU the rig don't turn on and is the same for both Gateway even if they are from the same manufacturer.
m
l
July 23, 2010 5:26:54 PM

I will check the chipsets first. I'm sure they are all core duo CPUs. I don't think there were any changes in that line to make them incompatiable, e.g. fsb changes like the core 2 duos had.
m
l
April 3, 2011 4:36:07 AM

csodey said:
Hello,
I have two laptops, both gateway, that are having issues right now. The first will turn on, but no bios and no video. I plugged it into an external monitor thinking it was the inverter, but no video there either. The second will turn on then immediatly turn off. I have swapped the two processors and memory between the two and they show the same symptoms. I am thinking both the processors are bad. Any thoughts?

Maybe it's the on board video chip, sometimes when the laptop get hot the video chip pops off the board, and there won't be no display, the laptop seems to be running but nothing on the screen, one way of knowing if it's the video chip is pluging an external monitor, if still no display then might be the video chip, I'm a teck at a shop and I get this laptops alot, specially HP dv5 and dv9000 series, the fix is taking every thing off the motherboard and cook it on toaster oven, then push the chip in place, if you need detailed instructions, email me. spanishqueen39@yahoo.com
m
l
November 18, 2011 2:52:55 PM

That symptom of an HP laptop is most assuredly a bad solder connection of the GPU. In my shop I see it all the time with DV2000, DV6000, and DV9000 laptops by HP. I do a simple reflow and it works 99% of the time. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube showing how to do a reflow in your kitchen oven. Personally I use a method of maintaining a 385f to 400f for around 8 minutes. Then let the board cool slowly. Of course if you have an extra $1200 you can buy an infra red reflow machine but the oven method works just fine. In fact... I am typing this right now on a DV9005US that I reflowed last year and it's still working like a charm.

I also remove the heatsink "pad" that HP installs over the GPU and replace it with a 25mm X 25mm X 1mm copper shim (never use a penny!) and thermal compound (arctic silver 5)

http://youtu.be/niRuCHv3Ti4
m
l
!