Sign in with
Your question

Marvell RAID Utility

Last response: in Motherboards
February 5, 2011 5:30:50 PM

I have the ASUS p6x58d-e. Using Windows 7. I want to use the Marvell RAID utility to create a RAID 0 to the 2 SATA 6gb/s drives that I have connected to it. I am not able to find the utility to set it up. Instructions say to press<ctrl>+<m> during post, but that does not bring up anything, it just boots to windows.

How do I bring up the Marvell BIOS setup utiltiy?

More about : marvell raid utility

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2011 6:18:13 PM

Are you able to enter BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2011 9:07:53 PM

Enter your BIOS At the main menu select Storage configuration.
set the Configure SATA to RAID and save/exit bios.
then I belive it's Ctrl & L not Ctrl &m to enter the Intel matrix manager
sel 1 create RAID volume. name it and select your disks.
m
l
February 6, 2011 4:17:15 PM

It's ctrl+I for the intel one, but he's asking for the marvell one, which I don't know how to either, sorry
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 4:42:37 PM

The ASUS P6X58D-E Marvell 9128 does support RAID 1/0 {edit}, the Intel ICH10R supports the onboard RAID 0,1,5,10. Generally, though you need to have the SSD/HDD connected to the Marvell SATA, BIOS Enable Marvell, Marvell IDE -> AHCI / RAID, save & reboot, then keep hitting CTRL-M. However, the Marvell has been reported to under perform compared to the Intel.

I noted this post -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286496-30-marvell-sat...

Just to check, I assume that you can access Intel's via CTRL-I; if so then the Marvell won't RAID.

Q - What EXACT SATA3 drives?

Specs:
Intel ICH10R controller
6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

Marvell® 9128 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller (Drive Xpert Technology)
- 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
- Supports EZ Backup and SuperSpeed functions
m
l
April 26, 2011 9:52:50 PM

In advanced mode go to Onboard Devices Configuration then select Marvell Storage Controller and set to RAID Mode. Then you should be able to select (edited jaquith is correct on next post. Thank you.) --> Ctrl+M to configure the Sata 6 Raid with Marvel.

HHI Computer Guys
www.hhicomputerguys.com
Asus Maximus iv
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 26, 2011 10:21:14 PM

Ctrl + I = Intel RAID Control
Ctrl + M = Marvell RAID Control
m
l
April 27, 2011 11:30:45 AM

This information might also be helpful when choosing Cache type for your RAID configuration:
(Courtesy of IBM)

Write back
For the write-back setting, the operating system sends data to the controller to write to a storage device. Subsequently, the controller sends a confirmation to the operating system before actually writing the data to the storage device. Doing so increases performance, but also contains an element of risk. For example, if there is a power failure, the data currently in the controller cache is lost. This is no risk when using a controller with a battery-backup cache. The battery preserves the data in the controller cache in the event of a power failure.

Attention:
It is possible to lose data if a power outage occurs while using the write back setting without a battery-backup cache device. If your controller does not have a battery-backup cache installed and enabled, consider carefully whether to enable write back on a logical drive. Depending on how you use the system, write back might be undesirable.
If you do not have a battery-backup cache installed and enabled and you set this feature to write back, wait at least 10 seconds after your last operation before you turn off your system. Failure to follow this practice might result in lost data.

Write through
For the write-through setting, the operating system sends data to the controller to write to a storage device. Subsequently, the controller writes the data to the storage device; then, sends a confirmation to the operating system. This setting can decrease performance, but contains no risk of losing data.

Maximus iv Marvell Raid Configuration
www.hhicomputerguys.com
m
l
May 20, 2011 8:07:57 AM

hhicomputerguy said:
There was a problem with the Drivers on the Website for the Marvell controller around 5/1/2011 which adversly affected the Marvell controller with SATA 6.0 drives.

Here was the work around:

Please download this utility first and install…
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Driver/motherboa...

Next download and install the below…

http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Driver/motherboa...

HTH

Running like a dream now..
www.hhicomputerguys.com

Could you elaborate on what the problems were?
m
l
May 20, 2011 11:32:38 AM

Sure, several different BSOD's. From what I recall , 0x0, 0xA, 0x8e
Yes 0x8e is generally a memory problem but it reared its ugly head when I had the wrong driver.
m
l
May 20, 2011 12:10:24 PM

hhicomputerguy said:
Sure, several different BSOD's. From what I recall , 0x0, 0xA, 0x8e
Yes 0x8e is generally a memory problem but it reared its ugly head when I had the wrong driver.

Hmm guess it's not the same problem that I'm having.

My RAID 1 array on the Marvell controller keeps disappearing and now the bios screen says the condition is degraded. On top of that I've been having connectivity problems with the USB 3.0 ports.

All on a fresh install of win 7 64 bit.

ASUS was quick to give me a RMA so it might bea known issue with the B3 boards...

Or I just have a lemon...
m
l
May 20, 2011 12:25:56 PM

BSOD = Blue Screen of Death -- after installing the drivers, BSOD would occur, either at system POST or very short time after the OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) started. I started removing memory, sata 6 drives etc and found that the problem went away when I used a regular SATA 2 drive. So, I figured it was the SATA 6 drives or the SATA 6 port/controller. After testing the SATA 6 Drive to be good I checked out the drivers, and contacted ASUS. They said that the drivers they had on the website were incorrect, (the ones on the Maximus IV CD might have been ok, but I always check the manufacturers website to get the latest. The post above was the drivers that they suggested.
m
l
May 20, 2011 12:27:49 PM

One suggestion, if you are still having problems with the SATA 6 drives in RAID then you could also try the original Maximus CD that came with the MOBO. I would have to assume that it should work if they shipped it with the MOBO.. At least it would be worth a try.
m
l
May 20, 2011 12:39:11 PM

hhicomputerguy said:
One suggestion, if you are still having problems with the SATA 6 drives in RAID then you could also try the original Maximus CD that came with the MOBO. I would have to assume that it should work if they shipped it with the MOBO.. At least it would be worth a try.

Win 7 pro 64bit and drivers off the cd :-/ (I updated the bios and software after the raid array started dissapearing but it hasn't fixed the problem)

I think something might be wrong with the board.

Problems that I have had:
One drive will disappear shortly after windows starts, if I plug my wifi dongle in to one of the USB 3.0 ports I will have to change it to a diffrent port if restart the computer, I had to move my rat7 mouse from the USB 3.0 ports to a USB 2.0 port because it became erratic then failed to work, when loading benchmarks in future mark 2011 the load screen will have a read grid over it and the colors will be washed out...

I've ran full scans with trend micro and it says my system is clean.

I have no problem sending the board into ASUS out side of the down time :( 
m
l
May 20, 2011 2:02:46 PM

When I called ASUS support, they were very helpful. This is not the same issue I was experiencing. Though I am not currently using any USB 3.0 devices at this time. No problems with any of the drives, INTEL or MARVELL. I have my Marvell setup as RAID 0 with 2 SATA 6 drives, and I have INTEL not using RAID at all but two separate drives one SSD Sata 6 and another Standard SATA 6 I use for backup. Everything is working fine.

I would try plugging in a USB3.0 device but unfortunately I dont have any 3.0 devices in the office.

Good Luck.
m
l
May 20, 2011 2:10:53 PM

All the devices that I have are USB 2.0 and work properly when plugged into USB 2.0 ports.
USB 3.0 is supposeto be back words compatible from what I understand.
m
l
May 20, 2011 2:48:10 PM

That is correct. I have usb 2.0 devices in USB 3.0 ports and it is working fine.
m
l
May 20, 2011 7:22:16 PM

I have the exact same problem as you SpockFive with my drive setup. I have 2 SSD 120gig setup on the Intel 6.0GBs red port and 2x 3Terrabytes drive on the Marvell port. Sometimes they are there in Windows and sometimes they are not. Its a fresh Windows install. Just got my new PC up and running. I have a Maximus IV motherboard. Asus website drivers do not seem to do anything... Somebody else must have this issue and resolved it I hope.

:o  :sweat: 
m
l
May 21, 2011 7:53:16 PM

DragonAngel said:
I have the exact same problem as you SpockFive with my drive setup. I have 2 SSD 120gig setup on the Intel 6.0GBs red port and 2x 3Terrabytes drive on the Marvell port. Sometimes they are there in Windows and sometimes they are not. Its a fresh Windows install. Just got my new PC up and running. I have a Maximus IV motherboard. Asus website drivers do not seem to do anything... Somebody else must have this issue and resolved it I hope.

:o  :sweat: 

ASUS was really quick to give me a RMA so it may be a problem with the board...
m
l
May 23, 2011 4:18:16 PM

I wonder if it is a problem addressing the 3TB drives.. There are problems with some hardware that require new firmware to handle the 3TB drives. But then again SpockFive does not have >=2TB.

I have 1.5T drives with my configuration to avoid this issue. Are the 3TB drives SATA 6.0 ? If not have you tried the 2x3TB drives on the standard SATA ports?

m
l
May 24, 2011 3:12:37 AM

hhicomputerguy said:
I wonder if it is a problem addressing the 3TB drives.. There are problems with some hardware that require new firmware to handle the 3TB drives. But then again SpockFive does not have >=2TB.

I have 1.5T drives with my configuration to avoid this issue. Are the 3TB drives SATA 6.0 ? If not have you tried the 2x3TB drives on the standard SATA ports?

That's a good possibility.

ASUS has the controller listed as 9182 and I can't seam to find any thing on the Marvell sight talking about a 9182 controller.

My rig / rma status.

I've decided to hold off on sending my board in as I dont want to deal with the down time or receiving a refurbished part.

I've also disabled all of the ASUS auto over clocking features after talking to a friend that has had asus boards in the past. He said that he never had any luck with the auto turbo settings working properly.

I have also reinstalled the drivers for the USB 3.0 and the Marvell controller.

I took the drives out of raid and formatted them and transferred 175gb of data back in forth to see if it would fail. After that I reformatted the two drives and re initialized the raid 1.

So far the drives have been stable I have installed Alice on them and played for about 30 minutes. I have also transfered 175GB of data to them from one of my old laptop drives and have been browsing through the old data.

I was getting red lines in the future mark 2011 loading screens. My friend informed me that this might be happening because the my GTX 580's were retting clocked down to 782mhz and I had reset them to 797 with EVGA precision before running the tests. His thoughts were that the cards were being limited by the north bridge.

Any thoughts?

Am I going to blow something up? ...
m
l
May 24, 2011 3:32:14 PM

Ok guys... It seems that even when you install the latest Marvell driver Windows 7 does not use it even if you use the "update driver" options in the device manager. Here is what I did and seem to have fix this issue.
I download the latest driver (..1051) and installed it. Then in the device manager I selected the device that windows was using as the driver then I forced windows to use the driver I had previously installed under the "Marvell" manufacturer. Restart and that fixed it. I had to redo my drive configuration and now windows no longer "looses" the drives. ( I tried this as Raid 1 also and it still works)
m
l
May 24, 2011 10:22:57 PM

DragonAngel said:
Ok guys... It seems that even when you install the latest Marvell driver Windows 7 does not use it even if you use the "update driver" options in the device manager. Here is what I did and seem to have fix this issue.
I download the latest driver (..1051) and installed it. Then in the device manager I selected the device that windows was using as the driver then I forced windows to use the driver I had previously installed under the "Marvell" manufacturer. Restart and that fixed it. I had to redo my drive configuration and now windows no longer "looses" the drives. ( I tried this as Raid 1 also and it still works)

Are you using the drivers from the ASUS web site or the Marvell site?

If your getting them from the Marvell sight could you provide the link to the download page? I haven't had any luck finding the 9182 controller on the Marvell sight...
m
l
May 26, 2011 3:30:33 PM

I actually got the driver from www.driveragent.com at http://driveragent.com/0/archive/9cb55fe3/-Marvell/, not sure if you can get it there without registrating but as I can see, the descriptions says its from Assus.
Here are the exact detail :

-Marvell Driver
File size: 2418.8 kiB (2,476,917 octets)
Driver Version: 1.0.00.1051 (2010.11.22)
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows 7 x64, Windows XP
m
l
May 26, 2011 3:33:12 PM

Don't forget you have to force the driver. In other don't let Windows choose the driver and install the driver package first.
m
l
December 26, 2012 4:08:31 PM

Step
One- Turn bios Marvell to "Raid Mode"
Two- Press ctrl+m durring post, to bring you to marvels utility.
Three- When creating a raid, Name the raid, and Say yes to Quick Initialize.

If those steps don't work go to ASUS download section for your mobo and do a fresh install of the Marvell Drivers. (Fresh= Uninstall old drivers)

I had this problem on my Maximus Extreme-Z until did the fresh install and followed those steps
m
l
!