$2,000-$2,500 New Gaming + All-Purpose Desktop

Breakthechains

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as I have gathered a satisfying, complete and well-informed parts list; ready to be ordered. Pretty much whenever I choose to, lol.

BUDGET RANGE: $2,000-$2,500. (this includes the need of: operating system, keyboard, mouse, speakers/speaker system, and monitor)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming is a priority. However, will be used for all purposes. Including the possibility of decently demanding programs.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: All parts are needed.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg and Tigerdirect have been what I have used for browsing in the past. How long shipping takes really isn't an issue for me, but price is, and so wherever the best $$$ deal is to be found is probably where I will order from. Provided that it is credible.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Parts I have my eye on, and am already leaning towards for my build are as follows:

COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Howerver. I am here for, and am open to, complete advice and suggestions. I don't care if someone else ends up making all the decisions for me, lol. (which probably won't happen; but) I just want to get the best computer for my budget.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe. I would prefer to avoid it. But after reading ........ *Proximon's Guide to Choosing Parts*: "If you are building your own system, you should be planning to overclock. There, I said it, and it's true. There was a time, not so long ago, when this was best left to only the most knowledgeable and those with deep wallets. These days, it's only a very small step from designing and assembling your own PC, to overclocking it. The gains to be had are LARGE and the risk is far less than it once was." ........ It seems like it's not that hard of a road to go down. Know that I know nothing about it though, lol. I know only that it involves the bios, and the changing of voltages, lol. I do not mind reading and learning, though, I prefer it in fact. So, I am down for it, but preferably only if it yields a significant gain within the said budget. As I'd rather not mess with the risk of frying my parts, lol. ;)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Don't mind going for more than one video card. Whatever yields the best overall performance for my budget. But a single video card would satisfy me. Such as a single GTX 470?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Monitor must be in the 20' to 24' range atleast, 2ms, 1080p HD, LCD/LED, top of line or near it resolution.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am also planning to have more than one hard drive, and operating system. This does not need to be included within the said budget, as it is something I can purchase on top of what I have stated in the future, but I would LIKE it to be included in the budget. But it's something that should be kept in mind, parts wise, however. As I would like one of my hard drive + operating system setups to be a cracked version of OS X, if I can pull it off. :D. I am down for dual hard drives for raiding, etc. Also, what this new business is about SSD's? Down for that too, if manageable within the stated budget. I'm not sure how it works but having say a 500gb hard drive to hold stuff, but low gb raided ssd hard drives for gaming due to speed? I really don't know too much about all of that, but it shouldn't be too hard for me to learn, so I'm down for whatever. Whatever the best machine this budget can yield, with a priority for gaming. Let me also state that, I'd like two optical drives. I want a cpu cooler, and I am aware that the Cosmos S has liquid-cooling in mind, but I for now will most likely just replace the stock fans with higher quality fans (include this in the budget). However, like I said before, if you can include liquid cooling in the budget go for it. Windows 7 for the main operatin system. Any questions, feel free to ask. I'm sure I've missed some things, or have unclearly explained some stuff. If possible, I'd love for a wiz to take me under their wing with this. I have some experience with building computers and general knowledge of parts and whats new/good. But some is some. As I said before though, I'd rather not let some knowledge keep me from indulging in raiding hard drives, or simple overclocks, liquid cooling, etc. I'd prefer to learn whatever necessary to get the best yield in my budget. Because I know I can read guides, watch tutorials, talk to people and learn the basics and be just fine.

Thank you to all who lend help.

Breakthechains

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Let me also state:

Intel equals a must. And I'd prefer an x58 mobo as I'd like to be as future proof as I can. But if there's a better route, by all means enlighten me. Still though, Intel. lol.

beerhelmet

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
ERGH while hitting the backspace i must have clicked on empty space not in the text zone and lost my entire post...
ok so let me try this again:...

CASE: $200 CM Cosmos
PSU: $140 850tx corsair
MOBO: $210 Gigabyte x58 ud3r
CPU: $290 i7 930
GPU: $350 nvidia 470
SSD: $200 80gb SSD from intel
HDD: $70 spinpoint f3 $20 bucks off with promo code on newegg
ODD: $20 x 2 cheap dvd burner doesn't really matter what u get
HSF: $40 hyper 212 plus
KB: can go with cheap, but for fun lets say $200 logitech g19
MOOSE: again can go with cheap, but for fun lets say $80 logitech G9
SOUND: I prefer a nice headset, but i know little about good sound systems, but u probably wanna allocate at least $300 for speakers and/or $150 for headset
MONITOR: $220 Acer 1920x1080 cheapish monitor

RAM: $190 g skill ram with good timings etc.

Edit: sleep deprivation + bored at work = forgetting about memory

Total: 2780 including $300 speakers AND $150 headset (doesnt make sense to use, but i normally keep tower budget separate from peripherals)

without being too fancy ($20 kb and $20 mouse + $35 speakers)
Total: 2125

now i didnt change the parts u were leaning toward, but for gaming i would probably go with a 5870 instead
keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor r all negotiable, but leaving urself at least $500 is a good start
sort of in a rush so i cant spend time to find deals or make better suggestions, but hopefully this will give u a good idea of what to look for
also future proof is sort of hard to do other than u3s6 support cause intel chipsets r changing soon and amd doesn't give u the high end [strike]gaming[/strike] cpus (their cpus r good for gaming but poor for heavy encoding etc)

P.S. my keyboards numpad is sort of glitchy so there may be some incorrect numbers in here
Double P.S. i added some edits now that im not so asleep