Future 3 Monitor Budget Gaming?

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Im not sure if this is askable, but I would like to setup a rig that will run 3 monitors, and game Good/Decently.. AND be cheap :p lol. (Help me find the best bang for your buck eyefinity setup!)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sooner or later, really Im ready to jump when the price is right. If its best to wait 2 months I can wait, if now is just fine, thats fine too :X

BUDGET RANGE: $1250-1500 (w/ or w/o the other monitors, if i need more power to make it worthwhile befor hooking 2 more monitors up, I do not mind waiting abit for funds) But emphasis on price/performance. I dont wana drop an extra $500 just to see a 5-10 FPS difference in a game thats already running 30-40fps.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, multi-task fiend :X, Storage

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse,

Possibly my PSU Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W Model: RS-750-ACAA-A1 (This should handle one card fine atleast, if you fit multiple cards into the budget, keep in mind if ill need a different PSU)

1 monitor Dell S2409W HD 1920x1080 (I plan to buy 2 more of these if this monitor is fine for the 3way setup)
If theres a good reason though, I have family that'd love to inherit this dell monitor. So I wouldent mind buying a different 3 if theres good reason :]

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg (have an account, used them befor, Willing to go where the best deal is as long as its reputable)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA Florida

PARTS PREFERENCES: I fell in love with this case <3
Cooler Master Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel It looks flawless! Im confident from reviews that it could handle multiple GPU's and keep everything atleast moderatly chilly :]

I belive I want an ATI card with eyefinity. And probably an Intel CPU. I always avoided AMD's CPUs because I had one that overheated like crazy years and years ago. I doubt that this is the case now.. but grudges die hard

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe.. only if my temps can handle it. Or if a specific card/CPU is made to be pushed safely.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes but I may buy the 2nd card down the road. I may even do 2 ATI and one Nvidia for Phys in the future.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 on each monitor. Im not sure if running 3 at a time will effect this part or not.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Im so very interested in running a 3 monitor setup. I know that some newer / future games will likely not play 100 (3x) % on a budget build of this nature. But if Im inclined I can always run only (1x) monitor for these intensive games.

Im having trouble figuring out price/performance. Is it possible to get decent FPS over 3 monitors with 1 card? 2 cards? I havent found much info in this catagory *atleast not with a budget pc, Ive seen plenty with $expensive$ rigs.

I hope ive conveyed my ideas clearly, and that everything is coherant :] And Ty to everyone that lurks the forums assisting the new and first time builders like me.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
That really IS a super fine looking case ! ... But you should know that the link does not take you there ... I had to paste the description into newegg search.

... Very good price for what you get ... it seems ... I'll read the reveiws (sorted worst first, of course) ... just to see if any number of folks have any complaints, in common, with one another.

= Al =

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Well, here is a build within your budget

i5 750 - $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Asus P7P55D-E PRO - $189.99 (6gb/s, 3.0 USB)

G Skill 4GB 2x2GB RAM - $118.99

XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 - $399.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500gb 7200RPM 16MB Cache - $54.99

Cooler Master Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel - $129.99 + 24.99 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194&Tpk=Cooler%20Master%20Storm%20Sniper%20SGC-6000-KXN1-GP%20Black

Sony DVD drive - $26.99

Total: $1140.93

In addition to the above items you could go with the Hyper212+ as a CPU cooler, that is usually around $40. Well worth it if you plan on Overclocking at some point.

Your PSU should be enough to power two 5870s.

Personally I think you are spending too much on the case: $154.98 including shipping seems unecessary to me, especially when you can get a HAF 922 for $89.99.

With the CPU cooler and the HAF instead of the case you picked the total is: $1117.92.

You could spend $30 more to get lower latency RAM if you wanted.

This total comes under your $1250 lower range of your budget, if we extend to your higher range we have about $350+ to use for monitors, so your build can start with 2 monitors with enough money left over that you could likely buy a third soon after

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
The monitor is a bit steep in price ($273.99?). I know Acer were selling a 24 inch monitor with only 2ms response time for about $219.99 on Newegg (don't know if that is still the case). Of course, I am no monitor expert so perhaps others can throw in their opinions.
BUt for 2ms response times, and a cheaper price and a good home for your Dell to go to, it may be worth going with different monitors with the fast response time (3 x $220 is $660, 2 x 274 is $548 so a difference of $112, would you be selling or giving your Dell away?)

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Maybe I'm the only one that noticed this, but were you implying that you wanted to run 2 ATI cards with a 3rd nVidia Card somewhere down the line?

I'm pretty sure you cant mix and match Gfx cards with different chipsets. Any opinions?

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

Ty for the re-checks. I keep gearing about the HAF 922 So I'll check it out just incase. I really like this case because it seems to emphisis air flow and it doesn't have a crazy appearance.

The Haf 922 looks acceptable especially for the price difference. Has comparable cable managment, same tooless expansion slots. It's not elevated like the Sniper case, which knocks the bottom fan out, which I liked since it would feed cool fresh air right at the Videocards (really, a neat idea!)

Aestetics, the interior of the sniper case is all black.. drool worthy :X I wanted to put a cold blacklight in the case later and thought it would look really snazzy with the other case. I'll have to think about the comparison.

asteldian: Well, here is a build within your budget

i5 750 - $195

Asus P7P55D-E PRO - $189.99 (6gb/s, 3.0 USB)

G Skill 4GB 2x2GB RAM - $118.99

XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 - $399.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500gb 7200RPM 16MB Cache - $54.99

Cooler Master Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel - $129.99 + 24.99 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] GP%20Black

Sony DVD drive - $26.99

Total: $1140.93

In addition to the above items you could go with the Hyper212+ as a CPU cooler, that is usually around $40. Well worth it if you plan on Overclocking at some point.

Your PSU should be enough to power two 5870s.

Personally I think you are spending too much on the case: $154.98 including shipping seems unecessary to me, especially when you can get a HAF 922 for $89.99.

With the CPU cooler and the HAF instead of the case you picked the total is: $1117.92.

You could spend $30 more to get lower latency RAM if you wanted.

This total comes under your $1250 lower range of your budget, if we extend to your higher range we have about $350+ to use for monitors, so your build can start with 2 monitors with enough money left over that you could likely buy a third soon after

Some of your links dident work for me, but I think I picked everything out properly. I am debating the case, since its expensive. I know after years of buying dells, that I would pay double that to ensure that im 100% happy with the case layout and airflow. I hate Dell cases.

Im not 100% on which 5870 you intended from newegg. I see 4 different ones, and one is $32 more for double lifetime manufacture warranty.. so I threw that into the list. Quick addition too, I thought it was a typo at first, but one of them had pci-e 2.1 , is that somthin to consider? :X Ive yet to see a MB with that listed in its specs.

I think id have to take anyones advice on ram. I do not know whats good here. Cas latency timing voltage... Just confuses me. As long as its not going to bottleneck the system Im happy. :] I couldent get your link to work, so im not sure which you ment. Is it these? gskill eco series 4gb

Hard-drive is suprisingly cheap! I know its not an SSD or has crazy RPM but the value is definatly there! I plan to just keep throwing TB drives at this rig once its all said and done, when additional space is needed. So If I really decide I need a performance drive I can always add it in later.

Link for the DVD drive isnt working. But I hope its a DVD burner drive. :X hehe

Adding Windows 7, Im not sure which version I need. File sharing, printer sharing, system image backups.
would I need pro for this?

Like the build alot! Just need specifics since the links went haywire. TYVM for the help!

asteldian: The monitor is a bit steep in price ($273.99?). I know Acer were selling a 24 inch monitor with only 2ms response time for about $219.99 on Newegg (don't know if that is still the case). Of course, I am no monitor expert so perhaps others can throw in their opinions.
BUt for 2ms response times, and a cheaper price and a good home for your Dell to go to, it may be worth going with different monitors with the fast response time (3 x $220 is $660, 2 x 274 is $548 so a difference of $112, would you be selling or giving your Dell away?)

Im not savvy with monitor terms and specs, I dont know what the response time etc means lol. If I replace this monitor I'll be giving it to family.

I forgot to mention that I won't be needing speakers, I have tons of those hanging around. :X

cmcghee358: Maybe I'm the only one that noticed this, but were you implying that you wanted to run 2 ATI cards with a 3rd nVidia Card somewhere down the line?

I'm pretty sure you cant mix and match Gfx cards with different chipsets. Any opinions?
Ive heard that its possible as long as the MB supports both, and I belive you have to have windows XP or 7. It would only be used as dedicated physx, and Ive read its ok in most situations (when and where tho, I am not sure, dont even know if this is neccesary/worth it. Just a possibility)

Ty all for the great input! And I hope this wall of text is ok..

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

STRANGE ... at the time I posted this, none of these links worked ...
... The links DID take me to newegg BUT there was a mostly blank "SERVER ERROR" page ...
... yet ... was able to access those products thru search, at egg ... Hmmmmm .

... Temporoary server issue or a procedural error ?

.. Oh, well.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Ash wrote ...

The Haf 922 looks acceptable especially for the price difference. Has comparable cable managment, same tooless expansion slots. It's not elevated like the Sniper case, which knocks the bottom fan out, which I liked since it would feed cool fresh air right at the Videocards (really, a neat idea!)

I dunno ... Maybe your place is a lot cleaner than mine ... Sounds like a floor intake would suck a whole lotta dust up into the case ... and ... there are NO filters ...

... Just w/regard to this one feature ... I would prefer to mount a fan INSIDE the case and not have it be an "INTAKE" fan ... if extra GPU cooling was the goal.

... Or ... like so many ... the 210mm side fan will suck way less dust.

= Hmmmmm .... = (I can see all these "dust bunnies" sliding and rolling toward it)

... On the other hand ... You could just cut a square out of a cheap AC filter and tape it over that intake .. no biggie. (inside OR outside the case.)

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

You HAVE seen those "fuzzy mat" looking air filters, at THE HOME DEPOT ?

... They look almost like thos "greenie" scrubbing pads, only more course.

... Sort of "LOOFA"-like ... Like shredded wheat (the big ones).

... Those are washable and disposable and cheap ... could prolly just cut a 6x10 inch rectangle and set the puter on one or more layers of that, with some slight compression.

... DO like the case (and pricing), tho.

= Al =

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

not 100% what you have in mind, but I get the general idea. It would look slightly silly lol but it would be functional! I do plan to put filters into the intakes, Not exactly sure what yet but i can figure somthing out.

Im doing additional research on eyefinity and trying to find some reviews by actual people that have the setup (instead of a hardware review website for example). Finding out that Starcraft 2 will not have increased view from a setup like this, just larger units.. That kinda dismotivated me alittle for eyefinity. But im going to look around abit more. Im in no super rush on this build :]

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Eye-finity is a work in progress ... and it will take time to get fully adopted and to become mature and full featured.

ATi says ... "We are working on that really hard". Not good enough for me, either, but it will eventually be a nice bonus, for those who "have faith".

I don't think running two monitors with basic apps (desktop) actually requires eyefinity, but I have no direct experience with it ... just some rather funky articles that did not impress me.

= Al =

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Hmm, sorry the links didn't work, wonder why.

Anyway, to answer your question regarding which 5870 to get, it doesn't matter really, just go with whichever warranty you like most which is within your budget. By the sounds of it you picked XFX who are very highly rated for their cards and customer support, so can't go wrong there.

Monitor wise, I mainly highlighted the Acer to point out that you can get 24 inch monitors for much less than the Dell one. When it comes to response time, the general concensus is that you won't really notice the difference betwen 2ms and 5ms. Only at 8ms or slower would you need to be worried really - but if faster response and same size comes cheaper it can be well worth considering

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM should be all you need at $99

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Ty for the info Asteldian! Ill gnaw it all over and reply with a build list! :]

I have a friend irl with an eyefinity build, Im gonna try contacting him and asking how he likes it.

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
A few things to keep in mind if you do plan on going the Eyefinity route...

1) If you only plan on running your monitors in landscape mode (normal, side to side) than you can get away with the less expensive TN monitors. If however you have aspirations to run your monitors in portrait mode (standing on their ends) then you'll want to invest in higher quality IPS screens. They do come at a premium.

2) And most important. If you're going to run 3 monitors from Eyefinity, one of them HAS to be connected via Displayport. This means buying screens that support displayport (Dell p2210 great choice) or b) using an adapter.

Using an adapter blows, let me say it right now. I spent 100 bucks on an active DP>DVI adapter from Dell. I'm constantly fighting with screen flicker and screen loss. It's a royal pita. There are less expensive adapters out there like a DP>VGA for 25-30 bucks. And some people use adapters with no problems at all. It's quite hit or miss at this point.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

I agree. That being said I wouldn't trade my setup. It really does offer a whole new immersion factor to gaming. I actually enjoy going back and playing games that I had long past sat down. I run mine in Portrait so I don't get the benefit of extra los like in landscape but it still makes games feel larger than life. It's been a pain in the neck, there's no doubting that. In reality it has uptime of better than 99pct of the time (guessing). It's like anything else though, when it does give you problems it makes you want to rip out your hair.

My wife's PC sits next to mine. She's currently running a 42" Hitachi 1920x1080 120mhz CE LCD. She's got a 4870 and there's really no comparison. She's got a larger overall surface than I do (not by much) but hers has a washed out grainy look. Then there's the blurriness of text. It's pretty bad.

3150x1680 it's a sight to behold.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
I'm more of a "wait-n-see" guy ... Right now, my 3.2(c)Northwood P4 has an 8XAGP 7600 Turbo running DVI>>HDMI>>52"x120HzX1080P (LG5250) and a 22" ViewSonic 1080P that I picked up for analog sound out to my mixer (PBS: Austin City Limits, etc.) ... Mixers go to a 2.2 KRK RP8s over 2x10"Woofers.

... I am waiting another year for 2x28" 1920x1200s for a 4 mon edit layout.

= this my thread ? =

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

1) I've seen some setups in portrait, it made me drool to think of all the scroll space you'd have this way! For gaming i think it would feel pretty good too. I wonder if there will be a future 3 monitor LCD setup similar to an Iphone (the screen adjusts automatically as you turn it) That'd be pretty awesome (expensive too im sure)

2) Yea I figured this much, with great purchases come great responsibility (and trouble shooting @#$^%$! )

A big part of the reason I thought to go eyefinity route is that ive been using 2 monitors (my dell LCD and an old CRT) for about 6 months and It's so wonderful having the extra space... When my 9800gx2 died, I had this really wierd feeling when I had to Alt+Tab through windows LOL .I planned to atleast get another LCD befor my card died. But now that im in the market for a 5xxx series ATI, I figure its only one more monitor. It makes me wonder if ATI is getting money from all these Display companys so they can sell monitors :D.

When I hear about the $100 active adapters, it made me wonder if itd be a better investment to just SLI two cards, and run the 3rd off it. But Im not sure if that actually works (with drivers etc) If you're gonna drop $100, may as well drop a few more and get some performance boost too. Does it work that way?

Alvin Smith : being a "first adopter" blows, in general ... just go into cryo-stasis, for 6 months.
Sometimes I wish I could :X Haha For many reasons!

Alvin Smith : I'm more of a "wait-n-see" guy ... = this my thread ? =
Wait-n-See Might be the best bet..

This is almost you're thread! lmao. I appreshiate you sticking it out through all of my indecisivness!

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

The main issue between switching from landscape to portrait on the fly isn't the software as much as it is physical constraints. With a single monitor it's no big deal, just turn it. With more than one however it starts to become more trouble than it's worth. They're aligned next to one another so turning them requires you to manhandle your monitors. Desk space is also an issue. I've got a 60" desk, the only way I could get all 3 monitors in landscape would be by having them overhang the edges.

2) Yea I figured this much, with great purchases come great responsibility (and trouble shooting @#$^%$! )

When I hear about the $100 active adapters, it made me wonder if itd be a better investment to just SLI two cards, and run the 3rd off it. But Im not sure if that actually works (with drivers etc) If you're gonna drop $100, may as well drop a few more and get some performance boost too. Does it work that way?

The best way to resolve this, from multiple standpoints, is to initially invest in monitors that naturally support Displayport. There are good options across the board from the $200ish TN Dell P2210, to higher end IPS monitors like the Dell u2410. If you do end up selecting a non-dp monitor there are less expensive solutions like the DP>VGA adapter. I love my Dell 2209wa's, in hindsight however I wish I would have ponied up the extra couple hundred dollars to go with natural dp monitors. The NEC ea23wmi is a great middle of the road monitor. It's 23" 1920x1080 IPS with displayport and narrow bezels. It can be found for a little over $300.

As for Nvidia. I'm not informed well enough to give a good answer. It's my understanding that that you can run 3 monitors on the newer cards if they're in SLI. Don't take my word for it however.