Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

cannot connect laptop to internet

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 5, 2004 6:15:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

i bought new acer laptop computer which i want to connetct to internet
via lan network. i have my desktop computer already connected. i tried
the same settings for laptop(windows xp) and it doesnt work.

ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
RO Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . .
.. . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . .
.. . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific
DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine
II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-5B-49-71 Dhcp
Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . .
.. . . : 192.168.2.162
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.127.66.146
156.17.254.3

i tried
ping www.onet.pl

Ping request could not find host www.onet.pl. Please check the name
and try again.

but works fine when using IP address

Pinging 213.180.130.200 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from
213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
Reply from 213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=56 Reply from
213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56
Reply from 213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=56 Ping statistics
for 213.180.130.200: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0%
loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum =
13ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 25ms

Any idea whats wrong?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 6, 2004 12:52:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

marcinsiewiera@interia.pl (Marcin Siewiera) wrote in message news:<2aa4a0d9.0410051315.28632684@posting.google.com>...
> i tried
> ping www.onet.pl
>
> Ping request could not find host www.onet.pl. Please check the name
> and try again.
>
> but works fine when using IP address
>
> Pinging 213.180.130.200 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from
> 213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56

That is a symptom that it's not finding the DNS servers - in other
words, the connection to the Internet is OK, since you can ping by IP
address, but it can't find a server on the Internet to tell it that
www.onet.pl and 213.180.130.200 are the same thing. Make sure you
have exactly the same setup for the DNS settings between laptop and
desktop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 6, 2004 3:14:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

If it works when using IP address but not when using name, your problem
is with the DNS settings, probably you have the wrong DNS server address.


Marcin Siewiera wrote:

> i bought new acer laptop computer which i want to connetct to internet
> via lan network. i have my desktop computer already connected. i tried
> the same settings for laptop(windows xp) and it doesnt work.
>
> ipconfig
>
> Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
> RO Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . .
> . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . .
> . . . . . : No
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific
> DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine
> II Fast Ethernet Adapter
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-5B-49-71 Dhcp
> Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . .
> . . . : 192.168.2.162
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.127.66.146
> 156.17.254.3
>
> i tried
> ping www.onet.pl
>
> Ping request could not find host www.onet.pl. Please check the name
> and try again.
>
> but works fine when using IP address
>
> Pinging 213.180.130.200 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from
> 213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
> Reply from 213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=56 Reply from
> 213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56
> Reply from 213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=56 Ping statistics
> for 213.180.130.200: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0%
> loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum =
> 13ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 25ms
>
> Any idea whats wrong?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 2:36:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

im pretty sure settings are the same. i dont know what's the problem,
i can ping IPs, but when i type ip address in browser nothing happens
just like when i use url adresses.

i thought it might be a problem with drivers to my Lan card (via rhine
II fast net adapter ), but i cant find it on internet. I can connect
laptop with desktop so i dont know if it is a problem with lan card.

i appreciate any suggestions.

> That is a symptom that it's not finding the DNS servers - in other
> words, the connection to the Internet is OK, since you can ping by IP
> address, but it can't find a server on the Internet to tell it that
> www.onet.pl and 213.180.130.200 are the same thing. Make sure you
> have exactly the same setup for the DNS settings between laptop and
> desktop.
October 8, 2004 11:45:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Marcin Siewiera wrote:
> im pretty sure settings are the same. i dont know what's the problem,
> i can ping IPs, but when i type ip address in browser nothing happens
> just like when i use url adresses.
>
> i thought it might be a problem with drivers to my Lan card (via rhine
> II fast net adapter ), but i cant find it on internet. I can connect
> laptop with desktop so i dont know if it is a problem with lan card.
>
> i appreciate any suggestions.
>

Sounds like a problem with your browser configuration. Ping works,
browser doesn't work.

jimbo
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 8, 2004 5:20:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote in message news:<10mda02qooaq579@corp.supernews.com>...
> Marcin Siewiera wrote:
> > im pretty sure settings are the same. i dont know what's the problem,
> > i can ping IPs, but when i type ip address in browser nothing happens
> > just like when i use url adresses.
> >
> > i thought it might be a problem with drivers to my Lan card (via rhine
> > II fast net adapter ), but i cant find it on internet. I can connect
> > laptop with desktop so i dont know if it is a problem with lan card.
> >
> > i appreciate any suggestions.
> >
>
> Sounds like a problem with your browser configuration. Ping works,
> browser doesn't work.
>
> jimbo

Its not the browser because outlook and other programs cannot connect
to internet either...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 12:05:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Uzytkownik "S Austin" <FullBandwidth@mindspring.com> napisal w wiadomosci
news:a4cb9930.0410051952.798fcf8e@posting.google.com...
> marcinsiewiera@interia.pl (Marcin Siewiera) wrote in message
news:<2aa4a0d9.0410051315.28632684@posting.google.com>...
> > i tried
> > ping www.onet.pl
> >
> > Ping request could not find host www.onet.pl. Please check the name
> > and try again.
> >
> > but works fine when using IP address
> >
> > Pinging 213.180.130.200 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from
> > 213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
>
> That is a symptom that it's not finding the DNS servers - in other
> words, the connection to the Internet is OK, since you can ping by IP
> address, but it can't find a server on the Internet to tell it that
> www.onet.pl and 213.180.130.200 are the same thing. Make sure you
> have exactly the same setup for the DNS settings between laptop and
> desktop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 12:11:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi all

If you are connecting to internet via your desktop computer (I presume it
runs on XP), you need to configure shared network conenction - run wizard on
your desktop computer, create a fdd with the netsetup file, and run it on
your laptop. Voila! This should do it. When I tried to to it manually it
didn't work (I have Xp on desktop and 98se on laptop (couldn't find 2k
drivers for ma old vaio... )


best regards,
Lev

Common sense is not so common...

Uzytkownik "S Austin" <FullBandwidth@mindspring.com> napisal w wiadomosci
news:a4cb9930.0410051952.798fcf8e@posting.google.com...
> marcinsiewiera@interia.pl (Marcin Siewiera) wrote in message
news:<2aa4a0d9.0410051315.28632684@posting.google.com>...
> > i tried
> > ping www.onet.pl
> >
> > Ping request could not find host www.onet.pl. Please check the name
> > and try again.
> >
> > but works fine when using IP address
> >
> > Pinging 213.180.130.200 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from
> > 213.180.130.200: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
>
> That is a symptom that it's not finding the DNS servers - in other
> words, the connection to the Internet is OK, since you can ping by IP
> address, but it can't find a server on the Internet to tell it that
> www.onet.pl and 213.180.130.200 are the same thing. Make sure you
> have exactly the same setup for the DNS settings between laptop and
> desktop.
October 14, 2004 11:09:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:45:26 -0700, jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote:

>Marcin Siewiera wrote:
>> im pretty sure settings are the same. i dont know what's the problem,
>> i can ping IPs, but when i type ip address in browser nothing happens
>> just like when i use url adresses.
>>
>> i thought it might be a problem with drivers to my Lan card (via rhine
>> II fast net adapter ), but i cant find it on internet. I can connect
>> laptop with desktop so i dont know if it is a problem with lan card.
>>
>> i appreciate any suggestions.
>>
>
>Sounds like a problem with your browser configuration. Ping works,
>browser doesn't work.
>
>jimbo
Check if you have installed / enabled a firewall. Disable it.
Chris
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 3:21:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I had a similar problem.
I could view web pages but not send/receive mail.

I ticked all the permissions for Outlook express in ZoneAlarm, but that
failed to help.

I turned off ZoneAlarm and just relied on the SP2 firewall.

That fixed it.
!