Safely Remove Hardware

January 26, 2005 10:27:04 AM

I recently upgraded the operating system of an older Compaq Presario laptop
from Windows Me to Windows XP Home Edition. Now there is a icon in the system
notification area of the taskbar entitled "Safely Remove Hardware". When I
click on the icon, the dialog lists one item: Microsoft ACPI-Compliant
Control Method Battery. The only way I've found to remove the icon is to stop
the listed device, but doing so disables the system power meter. I've
upgraded to all the latest drives from the HP website, and I've applied of
the latest updates for Windows XP, yet the icon remains.

How can I permanently remove this icon?

More about : safely remove hardware

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 3:39:56 PM

Robert Perry <Robert Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently upgraded the operating system of an older Compaq Presario laptop
>from Windows Me to Windows XP Home Edition. Now there is a icon in the system
>notification area of the taskbar entitled "Safely Remove Hardware". When I
>click on the icon, the dialog lists one item: Microsoft ACPI-Compliant
>Control Method Battery. The only way I've found to remove the icon is to stop
>the listed device, but doing so disables the system power meter. I've
>upgraded to all the latest drives from the HP website, and I've applied of
>the latest updates for Windows XP, yet the icon remains.
>
>How can I permanently remove this icon?

You can only hide the icon via the Properties of the Taskbar >
Customize Notifications.

--
(tm)
!