1994 apple HDD data recovery.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I have a apple hard drive out of a OLLLLDDDD performa that needs to be transferred to a new PC. The brand is Quantum Prodrive and it has the 1994 firmware on it. I took the HDD out of the case and tried to just plug it into my sons pc with the IDE calbe and that did not work. It will read the product number in the BIOS but that is it. I tried to download macdrive/HFS+/HFSexplorer and non of those will read. I bought a ide to USB converter and plugged it into both my PC and a macbook air and still it wont read it. HELP PLEASE :cry:

Solution
No, they are different but it would not be the first time I have seen confusion over that, Just had to ask.

It's actually been about that long since I was really involved with Macs, but lets see, this is a Performa 630? They came out in 94 and were the first to use IDE drives.

They have a serial port, so you just need to go find an old external modem somewhere. They should be found cheap or even free, take this one as an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-Global-Village-TelePort-56-56K-Modem-4-Mac-mini-DIN-serial-port-/150846649953?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231f293661

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

That is a pretty good idea and yes, the mac does work. My only issue with that is connecting to the internet. There is no modem. The Apple is not mine, its a office PC for a apartment building out in the country and never got hooked up to the internet. Do you know what I would need to do to get on the internet with a performa from 1994 with no phone jack? I have thought about using a floppy disk as well but none of my pcs even have floppy anymore. Oh, also the apple does have a cd drive but when put a CD-r in it nothing happened. Do you think something could be done about that?

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

I already used macdrive and it did not work. I think its a IDE though. the output is shaped like IDE and when i plugged it into a somewhat old PC it read the name brand and size in BIOS. Do SCSI and IDE outputs look the same? If so what would be my best course of action for scsi? Is there a adaptor or something?

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I looked at my exact product number and it has a AT after the name. Other older apple hard drives(on ebay) say SCSI on them so I am assuming AT means IDE. Didn't they call IDE, ATA before SATA came out? The google search didn't help, well it didn't help me at least. Did you google it and get any useful info?

No, they are different but it would not be the first time I have seen confusion over that, Just had to ask.

It's actually been about that long since I was really involved with Macs, but lets see, this is a Performa 630? They came out in 94 and were the first to use IDE drives.

They have a serial port, so you just need to go find an old external modem somewhere. They should be found cheap or even free, take this one as an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-Global-Village-TelePort-56-56K-Modem-4-Mac-mini-DIN-serial-port-/150846649953?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231f293661

Solution

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Once I have a modem what do i do? I am really lost on this one. Do they even have aol dial up anymore? Is there a free phone number for that now? Ok I googled it. freedialup.org will work.