Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My hard drive is not recognized anymore.

Last response: in Storage
July 4, 2012 2:05:16 AM

So here is the deal, I had to move after I unpacked my computer and then I turn it on. The asus logo pops on, doesn't change then it asks me to insert or allocate a boot drive. So I do alot, I swap ports, swap SATA cables, swap power cables, I unplug all other USB stuff, I try every single other port. Nothing works, also notable information I have a CD drive that is plugged in and thatrecognized(at least).

Any ideas on how to fix it?

I have to say, I think I do know what is wrong. My HDD broke, unfortunately for me it was also a new drive that lasted like 3-4 months. Kinda sucks.

Please feel free to just blatantly say "Yea your HDD failed" because that is probably it. I guess that is what I get for buying an OEM hard drive with terrible reviews. On sale. $50 dollars for a 750gb 7200rpm drive, to good to be true I suppose.

Any ideas for a hard drive I can buy as well? Looking for something around 50 bucks to get my first computer build back on the horse. even like a 320gb at least it be a 7200rpm drive.
a b G Storage
July 4, 2012 2:21:38 AM

could you plug that drive as second one in another system and if the system wont boot then this drive is out,but if system start use the maker tool to test it.also try to do a system repair with your windows disc the drive could be having bad sector on the boot
m
l

Best solution

July 4, 2012 9:58:34 AM

If you can, try and listen to the hard drive as you turn your PC on. If its working, it should just spin up, click and little, and gently hum thereafter. If its failed, it will do something else, like not spin up, or spin up and click lots, or spin up and down and up and down.
July 14, 2012 2:07:45 AM

Best answer selected by doreato.
m
l
!