Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Pci-e modem

Last response: in Components
Share
July 23, 2010 6:50:34 PM


Hello,
I had just installed a pci-e fax modem into my new computer to send and receive faxes. My computer system is a HP pavillion w/ i7 dual,O.S. is windows7,64 bit professional. I only had 1 pci slot which was being used, so I had to go the pci-e route. My proplem is that I can't seem to get my computer to wake on ring to receive. Does anyone have any answers to my problem?

More about : pci modem

July 23, 2010 7:35:55 PM

You will need to check in your BIOS to see if you can change the settings to support the function. In most generic PCs, this would be found in the power management section of the BIOS. In OEM builds, like HP and Dell, you are often more limited in your selections, but your answer most likely lies there. Look at your BIOS and determine if you can make such a setting. Good luck!
m
0
l
July 25, 2010 12:29:06 AM

COLGeek said:
You will need to check in your BIOS to see if you can change the settings to support the function. In most generic PCs, this would be found in the power management section of the BIOS. In OEM builds, like HP and Dell, you are often more limited in your selections, but your answer most likely lies there. Look at your BIOS and determine if you can make such a setting. Good luck!



Unfortunatley, there are no settings for power management for pci-e in BIOS.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 25, 2010 12:37:13 AM

Check the power schemes in the control panel-->power settings. You can change the scheme to a minimal power setting that never hibernates or turns off automatically.
m
0
l
August 4, 2010 5:20:58 AM

COLGeek said:
You will need to check in your BIOS to see if you can change the settings to support the function. In most generic PCs, this would be found in the power management section of the BIOS. In OEM builds, like HP and Dell, you are often more limited in your selections, but your answer most likely lies there. Look at your BIOS and determine if you can make such a setting. Good luck!



Well, there was no settings there that I could use to set there. Thanks though.
m
0
l
August 4, 2010 5:23:07 AM

aford10 said:
Check the power schemes in the control panel-->power settings. You can change the scheme to a minimal power setting that never hibernates or turns off automatically.



Yeah, I could do that but then what good does that do for my hard drive if it never rests when not in use?
m
0
l
August 4, 2010 6:28:50 AM

jkrocker1 said:
Yeah, I could do that but then what good does that do for my hard drive if it never rests when not in use?


before installing the modem, did your PC have issues waking up? if yes then you may need a bios update. if not then look for a updated release\beta driver for the modem
m
0
l
August 4, 2010 10:59:36 AM

jkrocker1 said:
Yeah, I could do that but then what good does that do for my hard drive if it never rests when not in use?


You said you wanted it to wake when a fax comes in. If you use a minimal power setting, it won't be in hibernation.

If your question above is about damage to the hard drive by staying on all the time, it'll be fine. Hard drives are rated to run for thousands of hours.
m
0
l
August 4, 2010 3:36:19 PM

sarwar_r87 said:
before installing the modem, did your PC have issues waking up? if yes then you may need a bios update. if not then look for a updated release\beta driver for the modem



Well folks, I'd just received an e-mail from Zoom who manufactures the modem. Here is a copy of the e-mail:

Hello John,

I am sorry, but the PCI Express modem does not support wake-on-ring mode. This feature was inadvertently listed in the product information for the Model 3035 and we are in the process of correcting it. Unfortunately, none of our current PCI, PCI Express, or USB modems support wake-on-ring.

I apologize for any this inconvenience this has caused you. If you require wake-on-ring, I would suggest you return the Zoom modem and try another brand of modem that has this feature. I wish I had a better answer.

Regards,
Jason M.
Technical Support

Soooo........ No matter what, there is falsehood going on at Zoom. Does anybody know of a PCI express modem that will "wake on ring"?
m
0
l

Best solution

August 4, 2010 3:53:31 PM

Sorry for the bad news. Newegg has this modem that if you go to the HP website and look at the specs, it supports wake on ring:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13110_na/...

Good (better anyway) luck!!!
Share
August 6, 2010 2:56:49 PM

Best answer selected by jkrocker1.
m
0
l
August 6, 2010 3:03:46 PM

Back to the drawing board. Does anyone want to buy a Pci-e modem and/or a pci modem? I have one of each, that won't work on my system. They're new! I had bought the pci modem thinking that I had the slot in my system,( I only have one, and it is used by my graphics card ) and the pci-e card isn't going to do what I need it to do ( which is wake from sleep mode ) otherwise works perfectly!
m
0
l
!