Sign in with
Your question

HD58X0 with dual display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2010 7:57:24 PM

Hi there, i've just read about the GTX 4X0's and their inability to idle when using dual screens, Nvidia comments on it in their latest driver release,

http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/197.41/197.41_Win... - Page 17

the text states:
"GPU Runs at a High Performance Level (full clock speeds) in
Multi-display Modes
This is a hardware limitation and not a software bug. Even when no 3D programs are
running, the driver will operate the GPU at a high performance level in order to
efficiently drive multiple displays. In the case of SLI or multi‐GPU PCs, the second GPU
will always operate with full clock speeds; again, in order to efficiently drive multiple
displays. Today, all hardware from all GPU vendors have this limitation."

So the question I have, is for those people running 5800's on dual screen does it drop to an idle state when running plain windows or is the statement above a bit of BS.

Legit reviews? have comment from NV stating when/if it is fixed, in this doc it shows as something that won't be fixed. I could cope with extra power whilst gaming, just not all the time just because i have a large display resolution over two screens and not just one screen.

This isn't flamebait or tolling...

More about : hd58x0 dual display

April 17, 2010 8:07:50 PM

I'm running 2 monitors on my Sapphire HD5850 Toxic Edition and it is currently running at 157/300 speeds, which is the idle speed. As soon as I boot up a game or anything like that, it speeds up.
April 17, 2010 8:14:45 PM

Thanks v much, can't tell what my current card does (8800gtx) as it has no idle clocks.

Looks like my 470 (arriving monday) might be going back if its true, and its a trip over to the red team, i'll see how it works.
!