ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Hi ..I have a Dell XG280 Optiplex mini-tower with the old clam shell type of case. I have recently installed a 500 watt Dell Silencer Power Supply, along with a EVGA GeForce GT220 PCI-E graphics card. But it has a lot of cable connections that make it hard to close the case. So i want to know what larger case can I get that will be compatible with the motherboard ...model: OY56638? Thanks...Dave

Solution
"Ground-breaking" indeed! Dell needs a complete make-over!

The only reason why I researched, studied posts on forums, listened to knowledgeable people, etc. was because of numerous 'blue screens' on my Dell Optiplex GX-620, and numerous calls to incompetent tech support from Dell.

This is what motivated me to spec out and build my own computer around the i7-920 CPU. Working like a charm for the past 14 months!

Take rolli59's advice regarding the grounding. Identical to the original ground points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
http://www.signalintegrity.com/Pubs/news/2_26.htm

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

"reverse" motherboard (mirror image)...?..Not sure what that means. But all I'm looking for is a case that will do away with the 'clam-shell' style of opening and closing. Pretty sure with a case that has a normal side door, will be much easier to open and close the thing; even with all the extra cables from the Silencer PSU. Not to concerned with cost. Just compatibility of mobo to case. Thanks.

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

OK, thanks...just found out my MOBO is ATX style due to this difference: If the motherboard faces to the left, it's ATX. If it faces to the right, it's BTX. This is a pic of my exact mobo---

101718.jpg

...So the only obstacle is to get a compatible case due to the --- Dell uses a proprietary motherboard tray and the pin out for the power button, power led, reset button, etc.

One without that dang hard to close clam-shell design. Never understand why Dell made such a good GX280 with such a lousy case.

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Alrighty then, Ubrales ...getting somewhere ...this be an exact pic of the MOBO...making it an ATX....Only question is now, to find a compatible case due to Dells propriety switch connections to the mobo.....

103535.jpg

I looked at Dell's specs on this computer on Dell's website. Yes, this does look like an ATX motherboard, but I don't know whether Dell has made proprietary changes to to it; like mounting screws location, and things like power switch, reset switch, etc.

And the case looks weird! If you are absolutely decided on changing the case, try any Mini-tower case found at your local computer store. Keep in mind 2 things: 1) it is practically like building a new computer with existing available parts, and 2) you will still have a GX-280 Pentium 4, which is now sold for about $132 - http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Dell+OptiPlex+GX280&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS359&prmd=ivns&resnum=5&biw=1399&bih=770&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5619376994862575570&ei=mt5OTcfBLYfMgQe_2Yg2&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAQ#

It does not seem economically feasible!

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Well....this is a Intel Pentium 4 3.6 CPU with 4GB Ram, 80GB WD Raptor HDD. topped off with my new 500watt Silencer Power supply, GT220 card and 7.1 Sound Blaster....So as you can see I've put some $ into upgrading. And it is one very fast PC!...Only major issue is the awful case design (clam-shell).
And was reading in another forum something about 'proprietary' issues with the Dell power button, power led, reset button. Dell has USB and sound going over the ribbon cable they use. In other words ...the mobo can not go into just any ATX case, if I understand correctly.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19046853.aspx
Oh and this is an actual pic of my case -- clam shell design. (no removable door)
110555.jpg

But thanks for all the help ...will now have to hunt for the case that will be compatible with the mobo. There has just got to be a case out there that will work with this motherboard. I just can't believe there isn't.

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

OH OK...ya may be right ...i just opened up another Dell GX280 i have (non-working) to see just how the mobo is attached. It is secured by only one screw, and the mobo slides out from 4 hooks, one in each corner. To freaky,.... it is therefore unlikely I will find an alternative case. Not unless there is one with a removable door and has the same 4 hooks with one screw attachments....bummer ...Guess I'm stuck with this case as it is... :(

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Very interesting link with those Thermalakes ...And just now took a closer look at the old busted dell mobo, and noticed it also does have 4 holes in each corner. So now, that gives it potential to fit in an ATX case...just as long as the holes line up with the ATX case....Just gotta measure them and match it with same for new case, and also match the 'proprietary' on/off switch issue... Things are lookin' up ....here's to ya...

G'day mate....

images

Apparently Dell used many boards for the GX280 most of them being BTX (probably the SFF cases). When looking around for your board I came across possible grounding issues when moved to a different case but being an ATX it should fit a normal case.

You also have the option of marking and carefully drilling out holes for the stand-offs. The only thing is that these holes will be through holes and not tapped holes. The custom standoffs can be metal tubing cut to size, and filed to within 0.20 mm height for evenness. Make sure that the tubing OD is about 5 mm.

For securing the board to the case, you can buy #6-32 (or in some cases M3x0.5) screws and nuts of the appropriate length. Do this only if the holes don't match. There is no telling with Dell!

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Yes, rolli59...Each one of the slots that slide onto the case hooks, have the text: GNDCLP 1,2,3, AND 4 respectively. But yet at the same time there are 3 evenly spaced holes in corners of board nearby those slots, with the 4th one being just the slot opening and 1" less in distance to the other holes. This gives me the impression that one can screw in this Dell OH7276 mobo into another case, with maybe some metal touching each GNDCLP on the bottom side,....hummm. ...Seems we are making 'ground-breaking' progress in improving the Dell GX280.... :D

"Ground-breaking" indeed! Dell needs a complete make-over!

The only reason why I researched, studied posts on forums, listened to knowledgeable people, etc. was because of numerous 'blue screens' on my Dell Optiplex GX-620, and numerous calls to incompetent tech support from Dell.

This is what motivated me to spec out and build my own computer around the i7-920 CPU. Working like a charm for the past 14 months!

Take rolli59's advice regarding the grounding. Identical to the original ground points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
http://www.signalintegrity.com/Pubs/news/2_26.htm

Solution

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

LOL, Ubrales....ya kind of lost me there...sounds like a whole lotta work. Think I'll stick to finding a case with matching holes to the mobo, with something to do with grounding it... :sweat:

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

HOLYCRAP!...Just read those 2 links, and it seems I may have bit off more than i can chew. Having to ground that board to the new case seems like a lot of trouble....Better off to just take my new 500watt PSU and graphics card and maybe even the RAM to add to an entirely new PC build!....LOL!...Evidently, the stuff I have read about Dells selfish attitude with their 'stuff' is all true. No wonder they made this board the way they did...can't really do squat with it!...ggrr!

I personally think that is the best and least trouble plan!

ddavel544

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks to both you Ubrales and rolli59 ....I think it best that I give up on getting a case for the Dell mobo, due to the posible 'grounding' issue/conflicts. Will instead study up on building me own PC using most of the quality parts upgrades I already have in this Dell...minus the mobo of course ...Thanks again for the enlightening .... :sol: