Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop CPU to Desktop machine?

Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2010 7:59:08 PM

hello, i have a crappy overheating dell Insperon E1705 laptop. and it has a core 2 duo T7200 cpu @ 2GHz in it.

i also have a desktop which i threw a bunch of parts that i had lying around into an old case and it runs modern games, but not well at all.

desktop specs are:

intel pentium 4 2.8GHz single core cpu
nvidia geforce 8400gs
2GB ddr2 800 RAM
7200RPM 80gb hard drive
DVD RW Drive
400Watt Powersupply
Random Dell desktop something or other Motherboard.
windows xp 32bit

even with gpu specs at minimum or medium on most games i get close to the same FPS, so i am assuming that the CPU is the bottleneck here.
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2010 8:13:41 PM

no you can't use a laptop cpu in a desktop motherboard b/c different socket
m
l

Best solution

a c 131 à CPUs
July 23, 2010 8:25:42 PM

I first looked at your desktop and noticed it could be a socket 478 P4. I know a lot of old laptops have P4 desktop northwood versions in them. But then I looked at the CPU. Core 2 duo T7200. No. It's not socket compatible. It's not even physically the same size.
Why were you looking into this anyway? Maybe we can help in another way.
Related resources
July 23, 2010 9:41:02 PM

enzo matrix said:
No. It's not socket compatible. It's not even physically the same size.
Why were you looking into this anyway? Maybe we can help in another way.

i was looking into this because when i play certain games like Command&Conquer 3 Tiberium wars. the game gets extremely laggy when big fights are going on. regardless of the graphic settings at medium I'd get just say 12FPS in a big fight, and about 15 FPS with the settings on low.

so i believe upgrading the CPU would give me a noticeable performance gain.

i don't need that laptop really. but i would like to use the CPU.

looks like I'm going to have to buy a cheap p4 dual core on the egg for ~$60 if i don't want my friends to make the whole game lag on a LAN.

m
l
July 23, 2010 9:41:13 PM

Best answer selected by Triton-00.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
July 24, 2010 12:22:00 AM

Triton-00 said:
looks like I'm going to have to buy a cheap p4 dual core on the egg for ~$60 if i don't want my friends to make the whole game lag on a LAN.

$60? I wouldn't spend more than $40 on a pentium 4 dual core, if I had to. Do you know what socket you have? If not, download and run CPU-z to find out. Or just post the model number of your desktop processor.

Another option could be a motherboard and CPU upgrade that would provide a much better benefit. What budget are you looking at?
m
l
July 24, 2010 3:11:18 PM

the processor is an intel pentium 4 (Prescott) LGA 775 socket.

90nm, single core with 1mb of L2 cache.

my budget is ~$10. i don't want to spend any money on this.

i'm thinking of taking a CPU cooler out of another computer and seeing if a better cooler would help. because right now i have a 120mm fan half ass zip tied to this heatsink. and i dont think its cooling well enough.

i cannot find any sensors in the cpu so i cannot monitor the temperatures. i tried speedfan but that didnt detect any sensors.

also there is only one fan connector and thats the 120mm fan that has some heck wierd dell connector that will not work with any of my other fans.

p.s. the heatsink/fan i'm taking out is a dell dimension 3000 desktop with the exact same processor.
m
l
!