Hi guys
I have the following rig:
HAF 922
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
i7 920 stock cooler
3x2gb Triple channel memory 1333mhz
Gigabyte Radeon HD5970

Now my issue is this:
I would like to get a 2nd HD5970 in the near future and would like to know what psu you guys recommend?
I am only running 2 hdds and considering an a new cpu cooler; I plan to overclock my cpu a little, not too seriously. Would an 850w psu be sufficient in this case ( with sufficient pin connectors, of course)?

^I highly doubt a n 850W PSU would suffice for the above setup with 2x HD 5970s...
You would need 950W-1KW to be on the safer side...

And going 2x HD 5970 is not a good idea...you will frequently run into driver issues and scaling wont be that good...
Why not try overclocking the HD 5970 ?? A single card would max out any game@ 1080p and @ 2500X1600, could easily run all the games at high-very high details...

G

Oh ok I see.
So what would you suggest then for the HD 5970 Overclocked then? would a 700w suffice or am I skimping again? :-/

In terms of cooling: Would you suggest I get a better cooler for the card If I plan to overclock?

I read somewhere that people combine a 5850/5870 with a 5970, does this method require tons of technical expertise and is it user-friendly in terms of drivers, scaling etc?
Thanks a lot for the advice, I value your opinion. =)

G

Thanks a lot for the calculator it's the most elaborate one I have come across! =D

^^ Well if you will be going overclocking the HD 5970 and an overclocked CPU, I wouls get atleast 750W PSU - preferably from Corsair/ Seasonic/ Silverstone/ PCP&S/ Antec TP...
And I think you can crossfire HD 5870 and the HD 5970 as they both have the same chip...
Not sure about the HD 5850 - even if possible, I dont think it would be a good idea as the HD 5850 might hold back the HD 5970 chips...
And again like I said, going above 2 cards will surely lead to driver issues and scaling might not be as good as expected...