Sign in with
Your question

CD ripping issues due to drive spin-up

Last response: in Storage
July 4, 2012 4:44:09 AM

So I have a shiny new dell with a quadcore i7 and a blu-ray combo drive (DS-6E2SH 12.7 Tray BD-Combo). When I try to rip a cd into mp3 form, it creates glitches in the first and second tracks. It specifically puts a skip in specific windows during the track, for instance, no matter what cd I try to burn, or what program I am using, at 52 seconds in track 1 there will be a skip in the mp3.

I feel this is due to the spin-up of the dvd drive. As I've experienced in the past, when ripping the speed will start slow and then accelerate quickly toward the max-burn speed. I mean, this isn't uncommon. With this system though it seems to cause glitches in mp3 ripping.

I can workaround this by starting the ripping, waiting til the drive gets to speed, then cancelling the rip and then immediately restarting. This restarts the rip at speed, and therefore no glitches.

Has anybody ran into something like this before? Any suggestions? The driver is up to date etc.
a b G Storage
July 4, 2012 5:48:04 AM

If it was me, I would buy a second drive ($20 max) and use it for cd burning. You migh ask dell to replace the drive as it may be defective.
m
l
!