Sign in with
Your question

Weekly Poll #3:

Last response: in Components

With DDR3-800Mhz memory as the baseline, assuming timings are the same for all, how fast would you have to get for a person to significantly notice a difference in the speed of their system, all other components being equal?

Total: 7 votes (1 blank vote)

• DDR3-1066
  • 0 %
  • DDR3-1333
  • 0 %
  • DDR3-1600
  • 50 %
  • DDR3-1867 (OC)
  • 0 %
  • DDR3-2000 or more (OC)
  • 0 %
  • One would need to move to the next generation of DDR4
  • 0 %
  • There is little to no difference. One would need to move multiple generations of ram
  • 17 %
  • I honestly do not know. I've never noticed a major difference with only an upgrade in ram speed.
  • 34 %
July 23, 2010 8:48:59 PM

Please suggest topics for future polls in this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] eekly-poll

Results from last weeks poll: Making a Computer last given $3000?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286077-28-weekly-poll...

This week's poll will relate to one of redechelon's suggestions. It relates to the performance improvement from faster :heink:  ram, vs the cost of ram.

Discuss the above, then vote on this question:
With DDR3-800Mhz memory as the baseline, assuming timings are the same for all, how fast would you have to get for a person to significantly notice a difference in the speed of their system, all other components being equal?
A "person" shall be taken as a moderate gamer who uses their computer for other basic tasks and enjoys multi-tasking.

The discussion will relate to what kinds of people would benefit from the performance increase and to what kind of people the additional cost would be worth.

More about : weekly poll

July 23, 2010 9:22:06 PM

Quote:

Thing is you are rarely going to find that situation as normally with the speed increases comes higher latencies and voltages (so more heat to dissipate) and also the increased chance of instability but if you kept all of those the same as you ask then there would be some noticeable increase with each step up -- whether it would be what you would call significantly noticeable will also always be a subjective call also (to some a 1 FPS increase in a game would be significant while to others it wouldn't) - So really kind of hard to answer this poll with other than a subjective guess in the dark.
Related resources
July 23, 2010 9:24:27 PM

I voted I don't know as I don't have a system with DDR3 memory yet, still rocking AM2+. Personally I can't tell the difference between DDR2 800 and 1066 when timings are the same.
July 23, 2010 9:43:06 PM

there really isn't a difference maybe 1-2% for most things, and this is really within the margin of error

though memory intensive apps and ones that actually utilize the bandwidth would benefit
!