Sign in with
Your question

Enabled mac filtering but didnt add my computer mac address to list

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
May 19, 2010 7:46:48 PM

Hello,
I was trying to set up a wireless network adaptor for my xbox 360. I was unable to connect because the mac filtering was diasabled on my linksys router. When I enabled it I stupidly didnt add my computer mac address to the list and then was unable to access my wireless network. I reset the router but now am unable to access the secure network I set up and it just provides an unsecure wireless linksys network. How can I can re-gain access to my wireless network I set up or do I need to set up a new one? Any help would be greatly appreciated as Im sure you can tell I am not very computer savvy.
Anonymous
May 19, 2010 9:48:50 PM

Reconnect to the router using an ethernet cable between it and computer. Log in to the router's setup screens as before and disable MAC filtering -- it's pretty useless as a security measure. Instead use WPA PSK TKIP wireless security.

Incidentally I don't know why you think that you were prevented from connecting before when filtering was disabled -- as you discovered you weren't able to connect when it was enabled.
m
l
!