Hyper-V with Sandy Bridge?

KevSull

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Hello,
Looking at throwing together a rig to run Microsoft Hyper-V and was looking at the i5 2500 CPU, but I'm a little nervous about mobo choice. Does anyone have a tested recommendation as to which H67 or P67 mobo has all the right options for hardware virtualization in the BIOS?

Ta...

KevSull

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks for the comment and warning, but as I'm using the rig for Hyper-V and will be using a PCIe SAS controller I don't mind the issues with SATA or USB, and I need the machine running as soon as possible. It's either take the risk with Sandy Bridge or get a slower i5 socket 1156 CPU and board. As I'm spending the money now I'd like the biggest 'bang for the buck' and the Sandy Bridge technology would provide this.

K.

Either supports Virtualization, it is CPU dependent and chipset independent. Consumer CPUs 'can' do Virtualization, but I prefer Xeon. Sticking a SAS Controller will work, but again the 'right tool' idea is stuck in my mind.

CPU i5-2500 -> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52209
MOBO H67 example {ASUS P8H67-M LE} http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=anRBLQ8WEKcWZHSt&templete=2 supports Virtualization but by default is {Disabled}; see manual 2-15 (pg 44).

The only confirmed issue with P67/H67 that I'm aware of is the Intel SATA2; SATA3 and or non-Intel chipset SATA are fine e.g. Marvell, etc.

KevSull

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks for the info jaquith, just what I was looking for.

Just a little explanation to ensure you that I'm not totally stupid :)
I need a box for home for testing out a small multi-domain environment (approx 6 instances of 2008 server), and would also like to garner a little knowledge of Hyper-V as I normally work with ESX.
Once the stest environment has been finished with this hardware will become my primary gaming PC, so I was after the best spec that I could stretch the budget to.
The SAS card is currently lying around doin nothing and was going to be used to avoid any of the SATA issues that Sandy Bridge is currently facing.

I'd also like to go for Xeon CPU's for virts, but as I said, this is just for proof of concept at home.

Chees for the assist.

buneacalin

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Hi all,
We bought an i7 2600 server and of course Hyper-V didn't worked with sandy bridge. However I found on the internet that the problem is fixed within windows 2008 SP 1. The SP 1 for windows 2008 is still in beta version but I think it worths to try it out.
Calin.