Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

NEW BUILD WONT OVERCLOCK HIGH WITHOUT FREEZING IN WINDOWS! HELP!!!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Overclocking
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 19, 2010 5:10:41 PM

Building a gaming system for my friend and I spent quite sometime in finding the parts, putting it together and overclocking the CPU & GPU's. GPU's oc lovely (as I anticipated them to). However when I try and OC the CPU the highest I can set the FSB frequency to is 1590 x 7.5 multiplier giving me 2.91ghzx4 but within minutes of booting into windows, the system freezes. The highest I can run the FSB frequency to is 1400 to where Prime95 & OCCT will run for at least 1 hr and the system not freeze. I'm totally stumped as to why this is happening but I know the good folks on tom's can always provide insight ;]. Here are the specs:
-MSI P7N Platinum Mobo
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
-Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800mhz
-Galaxy GTS 250 512mb x 2 in SLI
-600W Coolermaster PSU
-Coolermaster Cooling system
-160gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
-2 WD Caviar Green 64mb 1.5tb

Again, thanks in advance to all those that post!

More about : build wont overclock high freezing windows

a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2010 5:13:57 PM

There's an overclocking section of the forum that would be a better place for this.

The Q8300 isn't a great overclocker to start with. Why you're building a new system around the dead LGA 775 socket is another topic, I suppose.

What are your idle/load CPU temps? Have you manually set all the RAM settings to the correct values in the BIOS? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to see if the RAM's faulty?
m
l
May 19, 2010 5:18:08 PM

1. Don't post in all caps or angry mods will delete your post.
2. Not every CPU will OC well, and if someone else's CPU reaches a very high OC doesn't mean yours will too.
3. You OC by slowly working your way up from stock settings, not highest I can go and then down.
4. You need to increase v as you OC. You have been doing that right?
In fact, have you read any OC guide for that CPU at all?
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2010 5:42:54 PM

I appreciate your responses. Yes, I have read plenty of guides not only on this site, but many others regarding OC lga775 chips. Specifically the Q8300. I raise the core voltage .25 as I raise the FSB freq by 25. He's building a new system around the lga775 because that MOBO & CPU just kinda fell in his lap (one of the privileges of working in a pawn shop ;] ). Idle is around 32 deg C & @ full load around 38 deg C. Ram timings are 4-3-4-10 @ 2.0v. I haven't ran Memtest86 yet but I will have him do that tonight. The only thing that I think it maybe is that CPU came out of a Dell XPS 430. That MSI P7N Platinum MOBO he's using in this build came w a Core Duo E7500. I plan to throw the E7500 in there and see how far I can push it. Thanks again for your prompt responses guys!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2010 7:36:09 PM

Does the motherboard even support the Q8300? Does it have the latest BIOS revision?
m
l