Asus P7P55D-E PRO excessive audio lag

Jyd

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I just added this new motherboard bundle with a Asus P7P55D-E PRO mother board/Intel Core i7 870/4GB DDR3-1333 assembled and tested from Portatech. I added an ENGTX460 DIRECTCU/2D 1GB DDR5 PCIe GeForce GTX460 Direct CU Asus graphics card. All powered by an Ultra X4 750 watt PSU.

The system boots up fine but if I am playing say Spider solitaire and load up Team Speak 3 after just a minute the sound starts lagging behind the key strokes and the longer it runs the worse it gets up to about 2 seconds. The moment I shut down TS3 the audio lag goes away. This also happens if I log into an online game like LOTRO.

Also my in game sound controls do not work as they should, I can basically turn it off or on with the in game slider and the sound is the same volume at .01 or 100 on the slider. I can only control volume with the VIA HD Audio Deck controls from the on board audio.

I know this does not sound like much but when you try to watch a video it really is a mess and online games really aren't much fun this way.

I am using XP Pro with sp3 and all the updates and I just checked and the audio driver is the latest version that Asus has listed as well as the bios was upgraded by Portatech when I purchased it.

This is all I can think to add at the moment, can anyone give me an idea of where to start to cure this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Jyd

Solution
As I mentioned, 2nd post, the solution besides the Disabling that worked before, is to use a 'old fashioned' 3.5MM headset. Therefore, only one (1) sound device is being used. You're trying to compile (2) Sound Devices at once. You're getting asynchronous output versus synchronous output; and I'm not aware of any 'bridging' that will work.

There are plenty of times that people Disable/don't use multiple sound processing devices simultaneously for this very same reason. Realizing this problem the solution is to split from the same source audio out.
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

If you have any ASUS Utilities installed then remove them, to rule-out some 'conflict' run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic & restart. Also, open the Device Manger and Delete ALL of the items listed under Sound, video... then restart. I assume you installed only 1 of the 3 listed sound driver packages, if not then open Control panel/Add Remove...uninstall then restart.

The latest VIA drivers are located at the VIA OEM site -> http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp / http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/v8700a_20100923.zip {VIA® VT1828S}

Jyd

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Thank you for trying to help me I need to correct some of my information. With TS3 loaded everything is as above but if I turn off TS3 and stay in LOTRO the audio lag goes away. I also found these problems today

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jyd111/VIAControlDeck#5570968858050903426

and have loaded the correct drivers and not have none of the ? on my Device Manager.

I also found that I had this set up incorrectly:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jyd111/VIAControlDeck#5570965416180096082

since I run my TS3 through my headset and all other sounds through the speakers I changed to the settings it shows there from the other one.

The only program I find on my computer that came with teh Asus MB are Express Gate and VIA HD Audio Deck.

Here is my Sound and Audio listing from the Device manager:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jyd111/VIAControlDeck#5570976930604407266

and I wonder if there are some conflicts here with both Nvidia HD Audio and VIA HD Audio both being there.

I don't understand what 3 sound drivers you are talking about the only one loaded that I know of is the VIA.

Thank you again for your help so far and what steps do you think I should take now that I found those other problems and fixed them.

Jyd

I'm a little confused?! I see all 3 screen shots, the 2/3 are unrecognized drivers, and 3/3 shows them now recognized. The 1/3 I would assume 'redirected' only as a better option without trying it first hand.

You can try to Disable all of the nVidia and USB Audio items in the Sound, video see image 3/3. You have several sound devices simultaneously running. {I would assume: GPU with HDMI, USB 'headset', and onboard Audio.} If you're using a USB Headset then try to Disable the nVidia and VIA.

Jyd

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Ok with those items disabled I do not have the audio lag and in game sound controls are back. But now I can not load computer and game sounds to my speakers and TS3 to my headset, everything comes through the headset now.

Thank you for helping me with the lag but do you think there is a way to load everything the way I did before like above.

I take it the VIA drivers came with the MB and the NVIDIA drivers came with the GPU and they are conflicting?

Jyd.

Are we having fun yet?! Yeah, once I saw the tree I assumed a conflict/competing sound. NORMALLY, the control panel corrects this problem.

If you're game {excuse the punn} uninstall the VIA Control Deck; install it again later. Then Enable the nVidia. Test the problem. Use the Windows Control Panel.

If no problems then Enable ALL Devices in the Device Manager.

Bottom-line, try to determine the root of the problem. Also, if you're not going to use the HDMI connection on your GPU then leave them disabled; in a enable + boot you can have them running. If you are using or trying to use the HDMI + Sound from the MOBO then that will rarely work, the nVidia 'can' with a workaround that I've seen but cannot off the top of my head remember; Google should throw some options out there in that situation.

Jyd

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I don't know if I would call it fun lol this is my first time trying to figure out a problem like this I usually get a friend that is much more knowledgeable than I am to work all this out for me but I thought I should try it myself for a change and get some online help :) .

I just tried enabling the VIA again and that is not working the way I want. The lag came back and I lost in game control of the sound again.

So now I remove the VIA from the computer then enable all the NVIDIA devices again and see if that works the way I want?

Jyd

In the Device Manager, the best thing to do is Enable/Disable to control the Drivers; reason vs uninstall is because they will reinstall themselves. So yes, essentially we're trying to figure out 'root cause'.

Also, I have a 'feeling' the VIA App per https://picasaweb.google.com/Jyd111/VIAControlDeck#5570965416180096082 might b causing a problem and in the App case you can either Uninstall or Disable via the MSCONFIG.

Unfortunately, I do not have access or good knowledge of the VIA not it's Control; so my help there is sparse.

My assumption the 'root' is with the USB Headphones and VIA, but proof in this case is in the disabling.

Jyd

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

I can not find the VIA control deck on the add and remove list. When VIA is disabled in the device manager then I can no longer call the control deck.

Second, when I enable the 4 Nvidia High Definition controllers with VIA disabled, I get no choice other than the head set for what to use for audio. The only time I get a choice is when VIA is enabled so there must not be any other program loaded.

The GPU has no HDMI plug only two monitor plugs. I downloaded the drivers from the net for this instead of using the disc that came with it. If I look at the disc it has a utility program that shows GamerOSD, SmartDoc and Supersonic Sled as what look to be programs if I install it. Will any of these help at all?

The add and remove page shows the following Nvidia programs loaded but I can not find them when I click on all programs.

Nvidia Display Control Panel
Nvidia nView Desktop manager
Nvidia Physx

These were loaded I believe when I used this driver, nv25919_WinXP32, driver package for the video card but I don't understand why the programs don't show up.

Jyd

The simplest solution seems to be the USB Headset, with everything Enabled do you have the same problem with a 3.5mm jack headset?

Also,I assume that both the sound playback/recording is the same with the USB headset as follows. Q - When you disconnect the USB Headset does the Default go back to VIA also as follows?
Sound_XP.jpg

Jyd

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Yes both playback and recording are the same and it does revert to VIA if it is enabled when I unplug the headphones.

You told me to "uninstall the VIA Control Deck" and I could not find it on the Add and Remove page, but I did find VIA Platform Device Manager, is this the same thing?

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jyd111/VIAControlDeck#5571379481170671554

As for the 3.5 mm jack type headphones I have not had a set of those since I discovered the USB interface.

Most people think that I am crazy doing the online game thing at my age, 60, but I am disabled and stuck in my house all day. And it would just work better for me if I could have all sounds but TS3 on my speakers and it in my headset so I would like to keep trying to figure this out if possible.

Thanks Again

Jyd

Pfff - I'm 20's in my head -- 40's in the mirror, plus I take joy in building crazy rigs. BTW - We have the $!

Typically, don't uninstall that, it will remove both the sound & firewire drivers. Obviously, if you do then reinstall the VIA Drivers. -- it's not the end of the World.

I assume when you disconnect the USB Headphones and use only 'Speakers' the lag is gone??

Jyd

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Ok, with spider and LOTRO running and TS3 loaded with my headset on with all the Nvidia disabled I have the lag problem. If I unplug the headset, I still have the problem if I turn off TS3 I still have the problem when I turn off LOTRO, the last program using audio other than spider, the lag goes away immediately.

If I boot up with no headset, and load everything as above, with TS3 set to use VIA I still have the lag and as above it only goes away when only one program is loaded that uses audio.

No matter what combination of programs I load I can not split the audio, which is what I wish to do, without getting the lag and in game control problem. I would think this should be a simple thing for a computer to do.

I can not believe I am the only one on the planet that wants to do this.

Sorry I forgot to answer your question, Yes if everything is set to either speakers or head phone then the lag problem disappears.

I can't thank you enough for your help so far

Jyd

As I mentioned, 2nd post, the solution besides the Disabling that worked before, is to use a 'old fashioned' 3.5MM headset. Therefore, only one (1) sound device is being used. You're trying to compile (2) Sound Devices at once. You're getting asynchronous output versus synchronous output; and I'm not aware of any 'bridging' that will work.

There are plenty of times that people Disable/don't use multiple sound processing devices simultaneously for this very same reason. Realizing this problem the solution is to split from the same source audio out.

Solution