Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Graphics card upgrade please help

Last response: in Components
July 24, 2010 12:32:29 AM

Hello,
I have an ASUS cm55700-ap003. Irecently purchase a Radeon HD 4670 graphics card, but realized my PC doesn't have enough power (300 watt max). Would I only have to upgrade my PSU or would I have to upgrade my GPU as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Plus I would like to get my PC running by the time Starcraft 2 comes out. Thanks!

More about : graphics card upgrade

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2010 12:37:16 AM

I don't follow...

1.You got a 4670

2. you realized you didn't have enough power

3. you realized that you need a new PSU

Where does another GPU come into play here?

Also, what PSU do you have now? the 4670 has low power requirements.
m
l
July 24, 2010 11:49:47 AM

A 450 watt should be fine for that GPU... and really Where does another GPU come into play here???
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2010 11:37:31 PM

Just make sure you get a good name brand PSU - some others will not provide enough power, even if they are rated to.

Good names include:

- Antec
- Corsair
- OCZ
- Seasonic
m
l
July 26, 2010 6:16:04 PM

Thanks for all your responses! I just read online somewhere that if I were to upgrade my PSU, that I should upgrade my GPU (not knowing that the 4670 was the gpu)... so since I have my upgraded GPU (radeon 4670 [is this correct?]) all I would need is to upgrade my PSU? thanks for everything guys. I really appreciate the info and I'm not just saying that.

Radeon 4670 recommends 400 - 500 watts. Think i'll get the 650 watt to be on the safe side.

THANKS AGAIN!
m
l
July 26, 2010 6:17:44 PM

enzo matrix said:
I don't follow...

1.You got a 4670

2. you realized you didn't have enough power

3. you realized that you need a new PSU

Where does another GPU come into play here?

Also, what PSU do you have now? the 4670 has low power requirements.

I didn't think I needed that much power when I ordered the video card..

I think I just have to get a new PSU (650 watt) to be on the safe side.
Thanks for your input!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2010 8:48:18 PM

htk813 said:
Thanks for all your responses! I just read online somewhere that if I were to upgrade my PSU, that I should upgrade my GPU (not knowing that the 4670 was the gpu)...

That makes no sense. What would make sense though is for someone to say that if you were to upgrade your GPU, then you should upgrade your PSU. But only if the new GPU power requirements exceed the capacity of the current PSU. Sounds like you just misread :p 

There is no reason to upgrade the GPU because of the PSU, but you might need to upgrade the PSU because of the GPU. Which you are doing.
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 26, 2010 8:56:35 PM

htk813 said:
Hello,
I have an ASUS cm55700-ap003. Irecently purchase a Radeon HD 4670 graphics card, but realized my PC doesn't have enough power (300 watt max). Would I only have to upgrade my PSU or would I have to upgrade my GPU as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Plus I would like to get my PC running by the time Starcraft 2 comes out. Thanks!

the ATI 4670 runs on a 300w PSU, plenty of people run it on 300w DELL, Acer, HP PSU. you will have no issues.
m
l
July 26, 2010 9:05:14 PM

enzo matrix said:
That makes no sense. What would make sense though is for someone to say that if you were to upgrade your GPU, then you should upgrade your PSU. But only if the new GPU power requirements exceed the capacity of the current PSU. Sounds like you just misread :p 

There is no reason to upgrade the GPU because of the PSU, but you might need to upgrade the PSU because of the GPU. Which you are doing.

I once told my friend that bruce lee beat up chuck norrice in Enter the Dragon... He asked if i was sure that bruce lee beat up chuck norris in Enter the Dragon. He corrected me and told me it was THE WAY OF THE DRAGON.

My apologies Enzo.

Basically, I just want a video card that will allow me to play starcraft 2.

I purchased this: His H467PR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express X16 (2.0v) Video CA

I hardly know anything about video cards, mobos, and the such, but I am trying to learn.

My PSU specs: 300watts

Any good recommendations for video cards that would allow me to play starcraft 2 in high quality?

I'm thinking of returning that card and purchasing a different one.

Thanks ENZO!
m
l
July 26, 2010 9:09:30 PM

ct1615 said:
the ATI 4670 runs on a 300w PSU, plenty of people run it on 300w DELL, Acer, HP PSU. you will have no issues.

Thanks ct. I'm not sure if i want to try running this on the 300w. Wouldn't my motherboard get fried? ASUS from what I hear has sucky cooling.
m
l

Best solution

a c 165 ) Power supply
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 26, 2010 9:13:40 PM

htk813 said:
Thanks ct. I'm not sure if i want to try running this on the 300w. Wouldn't my motherboard get fried? ASUS from what I hear has sucky cooling.

no, about the worst thing that can happen would be the game crashes or your PSU shuts off. Don't get me wrong, getting a reliable PSU is always a good idea. If you don't have the money to spend, you really don't need to spend it.

* wow. I made a post about getting the Nvidia GT 240. it runs better in SC2 beta and uses less power then the ATI 4670....now its gone.

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2010 9:16:01 PM

I general, I would recommend a 4850/5750 to start but I've not played starcraft so I am unsure how it runs.
m
l
July 26, 2010 10:00:21 PM

Best answer selected by htk813.
m
l
July 26, 2010 10:22:42 PM

Hi ct.

Thanks for all the great info!

Do you think I should keep this current card and upgrade my PSU? And if i do purchase a new PSU, all I would have to do is connect the wires to the mobo and plug in the video card? Sorry if sounds like such a newb question.
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 26, 2010 10:34:13 PM

well if you plan to be running star craft 2 mostly, i would look into getting the GT 240 if its fiscally reasonable for you. with either video card, i would not upgrade your current PSU unless its clear it cant handle the video card. You should have no issues, both cards do not draw a lot of power.

in a benchmark with an over clocked i7, neither system drew more then 250w with each card.
http://www.techspot.com/review/223-gainward-geforce-gt-...

FYI, how to replace a PSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvClS_M-09o&feature=rela...
m
l
July 26, 2010 10:54:15 PM

You rock! I just purchased the asus gt240. Hopefully everything will be alright.

Thanks again!
m
l
!