nydoc

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I want to upgrade my system but I would like to have access to my old IDE drive. Do the new MOBs have IDE connectors and will windows 7 support duel operating systems?

Solution
It should be noted that most new mother boards support PATA. There are a handful that have moved away from it all together. Just make sure you double check.

Snowolf

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
yes the new mobs have ide connectors and as for the os it should. i'v heard of some guys dule booting with 7 . if u neen more info please tell me and i will tell u all i know

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
BUT! ... A much better option would be to purchase an external PATA/IDE>USB2.0 drive enclosure.

Advantages:

1) OLD (tired) drive is not powered and running 24/7/361 ... Will last many years if only running when needed.

2) Less of a drain (24/7) on your PSU/HEAT/POWER-BILL

3) Portable and cross compatible ... even with Mac and eMusic gear and personal tronix.

4) After transfer of old data to you new systems much larger drive (archive directory) ...
... Then, you can wipe the old drive and use it to transfer files, amongst friends and relatives and can be used to store most important/critical files, off-site (fire/theft).

6) The less complicated your build, the more admin resources will be available to your primary components ... Why should your CPU and controllers have to "baby-sit" that old drive, when it is mostly dormant and forgotten? ... Why should more important devices have to share or wait on that old drive ... just to be polled/acknowledged.

7) Why would you want to slow down your boot sequence, waiting for that old POS to finally spin up and do a slow first seek/init sequence ??? There is this whole test and report routine that occurs at every boot ... old drives just drag you down.

So for all the extra heat and power and working against HVAC and having to listen to it whine until it finally dies because you would never let it rest ... no portability ... no real added space.

fuggetabout-it ... use it in a legacy arcade build, for the basement rec-room. (pong?)

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
But to answer your question, yes and yes.

And I beg to differ alvin, I have two old IDE drives in my rig... I mean hey free space is free space. One being an old maxtor 250 gb... yes it hasn't crashed yet.

Oh and I have a usb external, don't exactly want 10 of them on my desk. :)

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well ... So long as you "beg" to differ ... I will allow it, but just this once!

Priorities, priorities .... philosophies ... needs ... budget ... just wanted to shine a good, strong light, over here ... I knew others would surely take your tac.

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well ... my "character" sort of dictates that I stretch the thread and present options that might not even have been desired or considered, initially.

I really do not expect a high rate of acceptance for suggestions that are on the fringe of the OPs original request.

Nonetheless, I hope you don't mind my spending my own time, to sketch out the perimiter ... for the mere possibility of providing you with more info and options.

I won't sully this thread with any further defense of my presentation. It was just an also/maybe thing. ... Creative solutions ... utility, and all that.

= Al =

Anything will support dual OS. Just have to configure it properly.

nydoc

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

If I build a new computer and place the old drive in it will it automatically look to the old operating system and boot from there? If I then loaded windows seven will the new os set up a duel boot?

I need to know what OS we are talking about here before we proceed.

With XP for example, you put an old drive with OS in a new system. Do a repair install. You would then install windows 7 on a different partition. It will create a boot menu automatically. That all there is to it.