I plan on getting intel 3770k chip, and 1 WD 1TB HHD. Which SSD to get

brandon402

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I'm planning to build a computer here very soon with a 3770k i7 and WD Black Caviar 1TB hard drive. I was wondering what brand and size SSD would be recommended. 128 GB seems to be enough for just the O/S and a few programs? Thanks guys ;)

120-128GB works for OS and programs.
Samsung 830, Crucial M4 and Intel 520 are considered the most reliable but sand force based drives from companies like Corsair, Mushkin, Patriot and OCZ are often on a great deal. I personally bought a couple of 120GB Mushkin enhanced Chronos and have been very happy with them.

brandon402

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Thanks for the great responses guys (and the link). That helps me pick, I will go with with one of those 3 brands. Quick question, do you guys know anything about the ssd caches on motherboards (particulary Asus Sabertooth z77). How would that help me? Thanks again! -Brandon

Basically this
"Intel® Smart Response Technology

SSD Speed with HDD Capacity
Intel® Smart Response Technology boosts overall system performance. It uses an installed fast SSD (min 18.6GB available capacity required) as a cache for frequently accessed data. Key benefits include reduced load and wait times, and lower power consumption through the elimination of unnecessary hard drive spin. This technology combines SSD performance with hard drive capacity, operating up to 6X faster than a hard drive-only system."

Recommended to be used if you can not afford big enough SSD for your OS.

Lots of good reading in here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part

brandon402

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

I just spent an hour reading about SSDs, definitely lots of great info! Thank you! :)