Sign in with
Your question

Headphones volume too low on new board

Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2011 5:28:24 PM

Upgrading my pc to xeon, i changed my motherboard to intel dg43gt. I have installed the drivers, have checked the system volume and volume control on my headphones, but the volume is low.

Previously when i used the intel dg31pr board, they worked good. Now the sound is too low :( 

In the realtek driver application, i have set the jack as "headphones".

What else can i do to get the real volume from my headphones?

PS: in the motherboard section because this is only from the new motherboard

EDIT: i just noticed, both of my boards use the same driver, so why no volume on this?
a c 104 V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 6:05:22 PM

The volume is controlled in two ways. One by the system, and the other by the application. First set the system volume to maybe around 80%. Then adjust the volume on the application to acceptable levels.
m
l
February 6, 2011 6:55:40 PM

Ubrales said:
The volume is controlled in two ways. One by the system, and the other by the application. First set the system volume to maybe around 80%. Then adjust the volume on the application to acceptable levels.

Sorry, i dont understand you. Changing the system volume on my pc changes the volume level on the realtek software too. They're the same thing
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 7:09:15 PM

Take a look at Control Panel ---> Sound ---> settings (Win 7)

After this, also adjust the sound level for the application you are using.
m
l
February 6, 2011 8:57:57 PM

Ubrales said:
Take a look at Control Panel ---> Sound ---> settings (Win 7)

After this, also adjust the sound level for the application you are using.

Sorry but i dotn find "settings" anywhere in "Sound". I see tabs saying playback, recording, sounds, communication. And device properties, etc.

Can u post some screenshots please?
m
l
a c 104 V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 9:04:16 PM

It's under comm
m
l
February 6, 2011 9:17:39 PM

Ubrales said:
It's under comm

This is what i see under communications:
m
l
February 7, 2011 9:06:29 AM

Any help please?
m
l
a c 104 V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 12:19:55 PM

When I had similar issues, settings in the Control Panel as well as the volume control on the device took care of the problem. In XP, the settings used to be in "Accessories" under sound.

In your case, you seem to have done the obvious things. I have shared what worked for me.
m
l
February 7, 2011 12:22:54 PM

Go to the Playback tab and select the Headphones and then click on properties. Click on the Levels tab and adjust the volume there.
m
l
February 7, 2011 12:43:12 PM

Jim_L9 said:
Go to the Playback tab and select the Headphones and then click on properties. Click on the Levels tab and adjust the volume there.

I don't have headphones in my playback tab but i do have speakers (selected as the default device) and the levels of that are full
m
l
February 7, 2011 7:00:47 PM

Well, this problem is solved. I think my speaker port (green) is unable to send the power which headphones require, so i plugged my speakers into the green port and headphones ot the line-in (blue) and set that to headphones from the realtek utility. Doesn't give what i had before but it's way better :)  Thanks for all your help
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2012 12:27:31 AM

campolar said:
Upgrading my pc to xeon, i changed my motherboard to intel dg43gt. I have installed the drivers, have checked the system volume and volume control on my headphones, but the volume is low.

Previously when i used the intel dg31pr board, they worked good. Now the sound is too low :( 

In the realtek driver application, i have set the jack as "headphones".

What else can i do to get the real volume from my headphones?

PS: in the motherboard section because this is only from the new motherboard

EDIT: i just noticed, both of my boards use the same driver, so why no volume on this?

I think i have a fix for the problem. I currently had the same problem when hooking up a pretty quality gaming headset, and i think i have figured out that the headset is not getting enough power from the port on the motherboard.

I believe these motherboards were designed to be used with speakers with external power supplies as other's have mentioned.

The fix is easy. All you have to do is use an USB adapter that supports a mic and audio input jack. I believe this works because the motherboard sends more power to the usb jacks then the audio ones.

Hope this helps :) 
m
l
December 10, 2012 7:20:35 PM

This happened to me and the problem was I had the "HD Audio" front panel audio cable

connected to the motherboard. This kills the on-board audio! What you need to do is

disconnect the front panel cable from the motherboard and add the two little jumpers between

the 9 & 10 and the 5 & 6 pins. These are the two between the 7 pin & the missing pin. Once

the jumpers are in place the rear on-board audio should work again, at full strength. Search

for "Front Panel Audio Jumper" for images and more info.
m
l
October 15, 2013 1:22:55 PM

helpermonkey02 said:
This happened to me and the problem was I had the "HD Audio" front panel audio cable

connected to the motherboard. This kills the on-board audio! What you need to do is

disconnect the front panel cable from the motherboard and add the two little jumpers between

the 9 & 10 and the 5 & 6 pins. These are the two between the 7 pin & the missing pin. Once

the jumpers are in place the rear on-board audio should work again, at full strength. Search

for "Front Panel Audio Jumper" for images and more info.

Even, I am getting a very low volume on my Sony headphones using my PC (Mobo: Asus P8H77-M). The issue just started some 15-20 days back.
Here's what I have tried:
1) Re-installed the OS twice
2) Tried all the drivers on Asus and Realtek websites
3) Tried using graphics card's HDMI to connect the monitor, resulting in really loud audio causing tearing sounds.
(probably because the HDMI connect is meant for receivers/ speakers and the HDMI to analogue converter in the monitor is low grade)

Yes, I have already checked the headphones with another source resulting in superb sound clarity with deep bass. I used to have the same experience with my PC sound until a few weeks ago.

I will now try your suggestion. If it does not work, I'm thinking that mobo repair is the only option left for me (Yes, within warranty). I cannot afford a good sound card for now, may be I will eventually buy ASUS Xonar DGX.
m
l
October 22, 2013 2:51:07 PM

I tried every suggestion mentioned on this thread and the nothing works. So, I was abt to give the board for warranty repairs. But, I remembered my past experience with Realtek chips (3 Asus motherboards) and understood that the issue will surely re-occur. So, I went ahead and bought a new ASUS Xonar DG. Mind blowing sound! I used to miss my Blu-Ray home-theater while watching movies on my PC using headphones but no more. Yes, it doesn't have the discrete surround effect but I don't miss it.

PS: The Dolby Headphone surround doesn't work for movies even while playing Dolby 5.1 or Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks. Just adds echo and lowers the fidelity. Haven't tried games though.
m
l
!